Friday, September 30, 2022

She Quit/Little Shit At Chick-Fil-A

So what I thought could happen did happen: On Wednesday, the day after I took a day off, I come back and see, through an e-mail, that the only other person in the same position as I has put in her two-week notice.

I'm torn.  Well, maybe "torn" isn't how I feel right now.  "Pissed" ain't it, either.  But I'm stuck in the lurch right now.  The Fourth Department is now me and my supervisor, and that's a very, very precarious position to be in because my supervisor really has more things she could and should do in her position.  (There should be two other people in the same job as I anyway, not just one other person, and I think I've alluded to that before.)  My supe now needs to work at this job at least a couple days every week.  That doesn't necessarily change the work schedule I'm in; I have been working back there at least part of the week and that will still happen, it's just the person who takes the other part of the week will change.  Moreover, and this still kind of sucks, which half of the week now changes.  The person who quit doesn't work Thursdays or Fridays, so I have worked The Fourth Department the back half of the week.  My supervisor doesn't work Mondays, so, and I've looked at the calendar my boss has now had to change on the fly, I'm now back there the first half of the week for the forseeable future.

There is a person who's taking a position that's the same as mine, but that is the one that has not been filled for months now, the one that is five days a week and ends Saturday.  But this person has to get trained in all sorts of responsibilities, so doing this particular job will be months, if not at least a year, down the road.  And, like I said, I'll be back to where I am now until next week, namely two people and a supervisor being capable of doing that job, not three and a supe, which is the ideal number of people.  That feels so far away right now, dammit.

But trying to see past the immediate changes as a result of this quitting, I find myself re-evaluating whether I should keep working here.  I wonder why she's leaving.  I have a sense that it could be because she doesn't like this job.  I've been back there with her working alongside The Fourth Department on occasion.  That position remains a pain in the ass even in its best hours, and she has muttered under her breath from time to time how much she hates that particular job.  Was that the reason she found a new job?  If so, as much as I hate what that now means for me, I understand.

And still I wonder if this new job is indeed better -- not just that it's better than calling people and getting inundated with BS, but is it an easier job that pays better?  There have been many, many people who have quit this company, and I wonder if they, including my soon-to-be-ex-co-worker, sought and found something that truly is better -- not just for them, but better in general, you know?  Where is she going?  How is it better for her?  Could that "better" be "better" for me, too?  And if that is the case, why in the heck am I not going out for that job, too?  I've heard of one study saying that people who have taken part in The Great Resignation, those that have quit for other jobs since the pandemic began to lift, have on the whole gotten better jobs at better pay.  With her quitting, I wonder if she's been successful in finding that as well ... and I then wonder why I'm not doing the same.

---

No other place to put this.  Want to vent my spleen about this little shit, but I don't think I'll remember to blog post about this if I don't do it now.

So I talked about how I wanted to not spend money either Wednesday or yesterday/Thursday, but because of Able Seedhouse closing and National Coffee Day I have gone in the opposite direction and spent all sorts of money.  Well, I got a couple rewards from the local Chick-Fil-A, one of which was for a free autumn spice milkshake or something which expires either tomorrow/Saturday or today/Friday, and I thought I might as well use it before going home to see the Law & Orders.  (The other Chick-Fil-A reward, by the way, is for a breakfast biscuit I thought I used Tuesday but still pops up in my app.  I have till Monday to use it [again, I guess], but Saturday morning will be the only time I can use it, and I'm still torn as to whether or not I want to wake up early to use it, especially since I might want to watch soccer.)

So I go in and I'm thumbing through my app.  I notice there wasn't really a line (one guy was waiting), but I just hung out near the entrance.  I then hear a woman's voice behind me: "Are you in line?"  And there was what I presume to be a mother and a son.  For the time I was on the road yesterday/Thursday there were drivers who were aggressive and so I was aggressive in turn, so I was not about to give up my position in line, even though there was no line, so I said, "Ope!  Yeah, I'm in line," and I moved up.  And when I moved up in line, this little shit harrumphed.  He was harrumphing me?  For not moving up in line?  And you should have seen this little shit because frankly, he wasn't so little.  He was definitely younger than 18.  He could have been in junior high.  And yet he almost as tall as me, he may have been heavier than me, and he was rounder than me.  Yeah, this little shit, harrumphing me because I spaced out just a tad.  There's a good chance I outlive his fat ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment