Wednesday, November 23, 2022

This Is How Much I Love Sports

So the World Cup is being played in the winter and not the summer because Qatar bribed FIFA officials won the rights to host it this Year.  After initially saying it was going to be fine and that they can even make clouds that will blot out the sun or something, the State of Qatar realized that there was nothing they could do to prevent soccer players and fans from broiling to death in the Middle Eastern heat, so they begged to shift the tournament to the wintertime.

OK, so that's one thing.  The other thing is something that no one in that state can control: The time difference from the United States.  Some of the group Matches start as early as 4 a.m.  No one in this town is crazy to open that early -- well, except for one: The Black Hart in Midway.  They pledged to be open for all Matches for the World Cup -- moral quandaries set aside for now -- including the early morning ones.  That includes the one between Switzerland and Cameroon this/Thanksgiving morning.  And you know what?  I'm going!  It's Thanksgiving, I could use the day to sleep in instead of waking up very early, I have to wake up in less than three hours to get to The Black Hart, I plan on watching the NFL in the afternoon, and I'll be eating my way through that Game as well as the 7 a.m. one between Uruguay and South Korea (and possibly the 10 a.m. one between Portugal and Ghana, the First Half of which I will probably see at The Black Hart before going home) before gorging on turkey in the afternoon, but dammit, I'm doing it!  Why?  Uh ... will, for one thing, I love sports.  It's the only thing that sustains me in my life ... well, besides sex, and sometimes I wonder about sex.  Also, when will the World Cup happen in the winter again?  Finally, when will I get to -- "get to" -- wake up to watch soccer at a drag/soccer bar in the middle of the night on a major holiday ever again?

That should mean I should go to bed, like, right now.  But I have some alumni club stuff to do before I go to bed ... and wake up in less than four hours.  I think this will be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment