Thursday, November 9, 2023

Like Herding Cats

I usually don't try to blog post so soon after my previous one because I want all of my blog posts, however short, to have its prominence as the first thing one sees on the top of Wailing And Failing.  I give myself eight hours at minimum between blog posts.  However, seeing as that 1) for the third day since Daylight Saving Time began (or did it end?  Fuck if I know) Sunday I've woken up much earlier than the alarm clock and 2) this problem is particularly vexing me, I have time to vent.  And I always set up Wailing And Failing as a way for me to vent.  Therefore, I will vent.

I run a group of alumni who watch our alma mater's football Games.  We have one main place to go to, in Minneapolis, but this Saturday it's going to be too busy for us to watch.  That usually means -- at least to me -- that we go to another place, in St. Paul, where we've been for a few Games.

I don't exactly know what the hold-up is this time around.  I thought we were going to go to the Minneapolis bar, but there's a big event there Saturday night.  I didn't catch it until I told everyone we were going to this bar, so technically I am still trying to get the word out about needing to go some place else.  I thought it would be to the St. Paul bar.  But, and maybe I'm responsible for this, I asked the people who come to these Games the most (we're in a group chat together) if they're OK with it.  Possibly a big mistake, because they're getting in their heads that they can go to a completely new place I haven't been to before.  And I think they are hesitating on going to the St. Paul bar because, get this, our Game is on really late and this St. Paul bar stop serving food relatively early.  That's freaking why.

And so what I thought was routine as it could be seeing that I had, ahem, "mistakenly" said we would be back in Minneapolis is now in a holding pattern.  They're asking one of the group who hasn't been to an event all year where she has gone this season.  She has gone to several places close to where she lives.  She doesn't know yet where she is going Saturday night.  And yet it seems as though the others are waiting, with bated breath, for her to decide.  This unknown place, apparently, is where they want to go.  But this damn Game is in two days, I need to tell everyone where we're all going, and I don't like the fact that 1) I haven't told anyone yet (well, besides the Alumni Association, and they're going to be pissed because I already told them we're going to St. Paul) and 2) I hate that we might go somewhere new on the penultimate Game of the season.  And, well, 3) I hate that these people haven't decided yet.

Do you know why I like doing things alone?  This is why I like doing things alone.  I am not in the cat-herding business.  I just wanted to meet up with fellow alums to watch our football team disappoint us.  And seemingly, this Week we can't bleepin' do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment