Wednesday, November 8, 2023

No Tool For Halloween

Week late, but I want to blog post this before I forget.

My usual thing I do for Halloween in order to avoid trick-or-treaters at my house is to go to Hooters and then a strip club.  Since my ATF at My Favorite Stripclub (Cover Edition) intimated she wasn't going to work that night and I shied away from going to the downtown clubs because downtown might have been crawling with partygoers, I decided to go to a coffeeshop to just work on my computer.  Those plans got all shot to hell because (and I think I already said this here on WAF) that shop closed early.  I drank a milkshake at the ice cream parlor next door.

But there was one completely different plan I was considering.  The alternative metal legend Tool had its concert that night at the Xcel Energy Center.  It seemed fitting that that group would be playing on Halloween.  Anyway, these guys don't play here every day; what would happen if something happened to one of the band members?  The arena should have been teeming with people who would be out somewhere else celebrating the holiday were it not for the show.  I don't really celebrate the holiday at all; why don't I go and catch them before I regret not catching them, I thought?

I finally decided against it.  For one thing, the cheapest price (bought firsthand) was $70.  And tied into that price is the fact that, well, I'm not a big fan of Tool.  I've heard "Stinkfist" a lot, but I can't say I'm familiar with the band's work.  So ultimately, I don't think I would've enjoyed myself, even if it was an excuse to avoid Halloween celebrants -- even though, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure Tool fans would have come dressed for the concert anyway.

---

This is the second time in 2023 I decided not to go to a concert on a holiday.  Fleet Foxes was playing at First Avenue on Independence Day (or Night, as it were).  I think I decided not to go for two reasons: One, I was afraid downtown Minneapolis would be gnarly out on Independence Night; and two, I don't think my parents would have liked me to go downtown on a big holiday, and I didn't want to start a fight with them about going out.

No comments:

Post a Comment