Thursday, November 23, 2023

Can I Be Ungrateful Just For This One Moment On Thanksgiving?

So work was a bear yesterday/Wednesday.  Didn't think it'd be so goddamn busy the day before Thanksgiving.  But per usual, the lab dropped a shit ton of work on me in the afternoon, so I knew I was staying late.  And that meant that I got out to the liquor store late, and that meant I got out to the speakeasy downtown late enough that there were too many fucking people to find a seat, so I had to go to another speakeasy which was also so busy that I had to stand up the whole time.

Oh, and I did not hear back from the MNF people about working the Vikings Game.  They called me out of the blue to see if I could help for the Game against the 49ers earlier this season and because they blindsided me, I had to say no.  This Game against the Bears comes up, and I don't hear from them.  I e-mail the person who e-mailed me before to say hey, this time I am available.  No answer.

That led to a cascade of shit at work.  I took Monday off, just in case.  But I had planned to take back my paid time off if I didn't hear from MNF in time.  I guess I should've pulled that back sooner, because yesterday my boss came in and told me and another co-worker our roles for next week.  I don't think he would have rejiggered them if I told him in time I in fact did not need to take the day off.  Oh, well.  I'm taking it off anyway because my supervisor, who's filling in for me that day, has lined up her day so that she can go to an appointment close by.

(Aside: I am taking next Friday off because that's when I get my check-up.  Also, because I apparently am not working MNF, I am filling in for someone on Sunday.  Finally, my boss was hoping I could take next Thursday off, too.  So I had initially planned to work five days next week when there was a chance I would be working only two.  I don't get it.  But I think it's all straightened out now.)

Fuck it, I'm off today.  (Though I'm not off tomorrow, and apparently that is going to be a hell of a day too, even though I don't fucking understand how we could get work from Thanksgiving, which is a federal holiday, but fuck it, I'll get my hair cut some other fucking day, I guess.)  I need to be grateful for the day off, for the good drinks the bartender made for me, for getting home in one piece, for getting to Subway for my annual turkey sandwich I get for myself before they closed last night, and for getting seven hours of sleep.  Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment