Thursday, October 17, 2013

My Unsuccessful Attempt To Free Myself Of My Backpack

I think I've brought my backpack to work every day since I started.  Remembered that I would probably need my satellite radio if we got to work that day, and it was natural to put my mobile get-up in my backpack to bring with me so I wouldn't die of boredom while working.  I think I used it that day.

I've brought my backpack ever since, even though I have left my satellite radio mobile device at work because I had no need to bring it with me.  I realized, in fact, that I wasn't taking anything out of my backpack during my workday.  Some days I left it completely closed.  Basically I was carrying a ten-pound weight two times a day.

Last night I conked off trying to make it through Letterman's monologue (although I'm not saying it made me fall asleep; I was just tired) and, after waking up just long enough to see my clock watch said close to five in the morning, I was woken up by that clock watch.  This was a very rare morning where I had some time to get up and think (although it was mostly about my bad Sunday working the game).  Finally, I decided just before bolting out the door that, what the hell, why am I carrying my backpack with me when I don't use it at all.  So today marked the first day I went to work carrying absolutely nothing.  And I felt free!

But then I got to work and, 30 yards before the front door, I realized why I had brought my backpack every day.  I have several reasons, in fact:

  • I throw my work badge and card in there.  Every day.  I remember keeping it in there for safe keeping and telling myself that I would never forget it if I brought it every day.
  • My chargers, both for my phone and tablet, are in there.  I didn't need them now, but I remember that once in a while I would bring my tablet and charge it at work so I wouldn't expend any of my parents' money doing it at home.  My cell's getting low on energy now.  Hell, I think I recharged my tablet there Monday.
  • The debit card I earned working the taste test a few weeks ago is in there.  And I planned to get gas and pay for it with that debit card after work.  I thought about going home and then getting it, but assuming that the debit card doesn't expire in, like, the next two weeks, I'll just use it for gas some other time.
So the backpack's useful after all.  Must remember to bring it, from now on. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment