Friday, March 29, 2019

So ... What's Going On With The Group?

I'm getting blindsided by this, and frankly, I don't know how much I should care.

My membership with these guys is coming up soon.  In fact, I had planned on re-upping later today.  Other people who are members get together on Facebook; I am in one of the groups.  Lot of silly shit, mostly memes.  I have to admit there's been more than one occasion where I'm scrolling through and I'm thinking, "What use is this to me?"

But yesterday, as my notifications once again told me there was more activity there, I gleaned a bit of news.  Apparently, some members who are members of the Facebook group I am a member of (still with me?) have been kicked out.  Of what, I am still not quite sure.  But it seems as though a bunch of these guys got tossed from ... this place because they chose not to, or have not been, upstanding members of the main group for a while because they haven't paid their dues.  This apparently has been a sore spot for a long time, and just recently someone acted on a "membership" purge.

I have no freakin' clue how this pertains to me.  But all those who got expelled quickly formed their own Facebook group, of which I was invited and accepted.  And, at least through this first day, their main comments regard how they were removed and how those people suck.  Content-wise, it is just as irrelevant to my stress-filled life as the first Facebook group was.  And right now I am a member of both.

There is no inner tension with me, just bewilderment.  And I will say that, assuming I remember, I'm renewing my membership.  But this schism brings to mind a couple things: Rumblings I have heard in the past about a major division within this group and how split has never really healed; and the concept of joining a group, of paying money to be a member and doing things such as making friends and having beers -- two activities you can do without necessarily paying dues to a group.  In other words, What price friendship?

That's all I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment