Saturday, March 30, 2019

2019 March Madness Anti-Picks, Round 4

Record, Round 3: 4-2
Overall Record: 22-15
Total Outlay, Round 3: $500.00
Total Return, Round 3: $668.15
Gain, Round 3: $168.15
Overall Gain: $1,835.39

I continue to do well.  Nailed four of my five single bets, and although the one that I lost (Florida St. +7 1/2) was part of my only parlay, I eked out a small profit and thus further burnished my payroll.

In the meantime (and please indulge me here), my setback after Round 1 in both my pools has subsided.  In the big pool, where, frankly, all is already lost, I missed out on Michigan and North Carolina, but I still have Duke, Kentucky and Gonzaga all alive to make the Final Four.  That puts me in better-than-fair position for my other pool, where I still have those three to make the Final Four, which is that pool's main objective.  Now, knowing my luck all three damn teams will lose.  (If they do, I will seriously, seriously consider quitting this.)  And even if all three teams get in, I will be forced into tie-breakers because a lot of other people had the Blue Devils, Wildcats and Bulldogs making it, too.  But there were some dark days after Round 1 this time last week.  All I could do was hold and see better days, and yes, those days are better, IRL and with these fake Anti-Picks.

---

I have to make an announcement: This will be the last stage at which I gamble fake.  As you probably already know, the Final Four is in Minneapolis this year, and I have been able to snag a job working it.  As such, I think it is unethical for me to these picks, even if they are fake.  I want to keep some distance to ensure I remain employed in a job that I love.

With that being said, I can take one final run at the Regional Finals:

1) Texas Tech +4 (I am a pessimist, and the Red Raiders still have the most efficient defense in top-flight college basketball.  I am a big proponent on using margins of victory in The Big Dance as an indicator of strength.  Both TTU and Gonzaga won by double digits.  I was heartened to see the Zags crush a Florida St. team that matched up well against them on paper.  But I also see the Raiders stifling Michigan.  Might as well bet against myself) $100

2) Virginia -4 1/2 (I have to admit I want to punish the Cavaliers for losing to UMBC as the overall #1 seed last year.  They won't ever live that down.  But winning it all this year will make up for a lot of that, and I'm afraid they'll steamroll Purdue to get to here) $100

3) Michigan St. +1 1/2 (I have doubted Tom Izzo -- after considering him to be the best pound-for-pound coach in the land -- for the past several years, so, like with Kentucky, it would be my comeuppance to pick against them, because I have Duke winning it all.  Yes, Virginia Tech matched up well against them.  But this is a second nail-biter the supposed kings of the hill had to endure, and I don't know if one can escape with a third consecutive close call) $100

4) Hell, parlay all three of them, for $50.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment