Friday, August 16, 2019

My Parents Are Going Through A Flight From Hell

They should have been back by now.  But they're not.  Weather apparently was so bad on their trip into Dulles that the plane they were on diverted to New York instead.  They told us that they were stuck on the plane taxiing on the tarmac for two hours before they were allowed to deplane.  Finally, somehow, they got to Washington, D.C. late tonight, which obviously was too late for them to get to their connecting flight to MSP.

They should have touched down a quarter to eight last night.  As I type this, they are in a hotel in the DC area.  Furthermore, they were booked on a flight that gets here at 10 in the morning -- right in the thick of my workday.  I told them I couldn't do it.  This takes me back to the time I was working at the flu biller place when my parents' return flight was delayed until the next morning.  That time they texted me the new arrival time through text, which I got that morning, and I didn't feel as though I could call into work late in order to pick them up from the airport on such short notice.  So I told them that I couldn't pick them up while I was driving into work.  Father was so pissed off, but I didn't care -- they needed to tell me earlier than that.  They got home (this was during the winter) just fine.

So, yeah, the only real difference this time is I am breaking the bad news to them the night before rather than the morning of.  Geez, do my parents believe that by telling me their new flight plans now, I can pick them up?  I really can't, not at this job.  Are they going to hold this against me?

(sigh) Is it narcissistic to say that I'm going through as much hell on my folks' trip as my folks are?

No comments:

Post a Comment