Sunday, August 25, 2019

Start Of The Grind/Suck

Alluded to this in this blog post, but it hasn't hit me until now.  Today, Sunday, is the first of many Sundays, for the time being, when I work.  This is the shift the girl who quit on Thursday usually has, and for now it is being split between me and one other person ... except that this other person is on vacation for a while and I will be doing the next two Sundays to start.

I'm going to ease myself into working Sundays starting with today.  I will be only in one department, and my main job is processing the folders of applications for tests that, somehow, were done the previous day, which is Saturday, which is not a workday.  There are several, so someone has to be there to do them.  The upside is is that there are only several, and I can get out of here as soon as they are all done, which usually takes, according to my bosses, two and four hours.  Seeing as I want to take in the State Fair while the weather is perfect -- and seeing that I didn't even remember telling my actual boss I was available to work today until this week -- I am going to try to get out of there ASAP.

Next week and onward is going to be different.  There actually was an exodus of workers that finished yesterday/Saturday.  Over the four departments I work in, four people have left over the past eight days.  The immediate impact, for me, is that I will need to help out in filing for the weekend, and since my workweek ends on Saturday, that means I come in for overtime on Sundays.  But I have to fill in on Sundays?, you may ask.  That's right!  So it looks as though, starting next week, I will come in at 7 to file.  (I had the option of choosing my work times, and already I'm regretting the time I said I would start.  Should talk to my boss about changing that.)  These folders that need to be processed come starting at 10, so around that time (I probably will take my break before then), I'll move out there to start keying and scanning and what not.  I might take lunch or not, but once those folders are all done, I have the option of moving back into filing for the rest of an eight-hour workday (though I would probably take my other break first).  And all of this is OT.

On top of all that, I have already mapped out for my boss the Sundays I'm available from now until the end of the year.  And because I want to be a team player, I gave my job all the Sundays when the Vikings are not at home for a game I would work at.  So, in other words, my Sundays from here on out are either going to be working at my main job or working Vikings broadcasts.  Or, in other words, working.  You know, this takes me back to the time when my parents worked at The Store.  Until they started having my uncle and I fill in for them, they never took a day off.  I get my ... industriousness? ... from them.

This all ends once the company finds people to fill in for the jobs and shifts I'm covering right now.  Or if the company finds people.  Yeah, more like "if."

No comments:

Post a Comment