Thursday, September 17, 2020

RIP, Legacy Blogger Format, And Hello, Shitty New Blogger Format

Please note that as of today, Thursday, September 17, the old dashboard/format for Blogger, the platform upon which I have build Wailing And Failing, has been changed/tweaked/destroyed.  Blogger has given me a warning for a month-plus (the time in which they first introduced the new format), but up until this point I was given a link to revert to the old formatting.  That is gone as of now, and it sucks because this new configuration sucks because it is not user-friendly.

How so?  Let me count the ways:

  1. Each blog post I have, either published or in draft form, is listed, each in a rectangle.  This rectangle is bigger now, inexplicably, and I find it incredibly annoying.
  2. In New Blogger, the first letter in each blog post has its own square encased to the left of the rectangular blog post.  Why?  Don't fuckin' know.  I don't think it serves any good purpose.
  3. The tags are also bigger, so big that they spill off of the rectangle.  And no, I cannot scroll right to see them all.
  4. This might piss me off the most.  I do sometimes go back to look for blog posts, and to do so I use tags.  In Legacy/Old Blogger, there was a drop-down box from which I could sort out blog posts by those I had labeled with, for example, "pissing me off," or "masturbation."  New Blogger fucking has done away with that easy drop-down.  Instead, I have to click on the tag (which I only realized just now means "search by tag") and then use Boolean operators to search for the blog post I want.  This theoretically should both expand the ways I can search WAF and get back more accurate results.  Plus, maybe a hardcore blogger like me should know how Boolean logic works.  But I don't, so when I click on the tag and get confronted with a small window that states, "Separate labels by commas," I don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to do.  Seriously, how do I fucking search through my blog posts now?!?!
  5. One complaint on the screen when I'm blogging.  The toolbar used to have icons for bullet points, both numbered and unnumbered, as well as a blockquoting function.  They're still there in New Blogger, but all of those options (plus a few others I don't use) are nested under a "More options" icon represented by an ellipsis.  That brings up a second toolbar from which you can select a function.  That second toolbar sticks around unless you hit the ellipsis a second time to close it.  I guess you'll need that toolbar because you need to hit the bulleted list icon again once you want to end your list, but seeing that stick around still is annoying as hell.
  6. Oh, one more thing, even though they'll quickly fix this: There was a special note box Blogger threw up once they switched over to New Blogger where they said, "If you want to use Legacy Blogger, click on the link in the lower left," or something like that.  They still have that box up even though there is no more link.  Pffft.  Liars!
There may be some upsides to this new format.  You can put in special characters for one, and for another it automatically saves your blog post instead of you needing to hit the "save" button.  But ... nyah, this dashboard still sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment