Monday, September 7, 2020

Sorry, I Just Assumed You Were Homeless And Was Gonna Hit Me Up For Money

I went downtown to walk for Labor Day -- you know, as a treat to myself.

As I was about to get out of my car, I saw a guy who was, well, homeless-looking.  And I was thinking what I'm pretty sure what anyone in my situation was thinking: "Shit, he's going to hit me up for money."

I wasn't going to drive to another parking spot at that point, so I got out of my car and assumed a defensive posture suitable for walking downtown.  And yep, the guy came up to me and said, "Can I ask you something?"  And I know I backed away a little, partly to show fear and partly annoyance, and I'm sure I visibly sighed when he asked me.

I think I said, "What?"

"Do you know where the nearest gas station is?" he asked.

"Oh.  Uh ..." and then I proceeded to try and tell him.  The nearest one is Bobby & Steve's at Washington Ave. on the other side of downtown.  (It's the place where I got my tire replaced.)  He then asked if there was a CVS around.  I thought there was a Walgreen's closer to the heart of downtown, but I just pointed vaguely in some direction, whereby he went (from where he came, I think) after we got done talking.

And shit, I now feel all guilty.  Yeah, maybe he was going to hit me up for money and wanted to prove to me he wasn't that type of person, even though in such a case his motive precisely would be to hit me up for money.  But ... maybe his motives were pure.  Maybe he just wanted to find a gas station or a CVS.  Maybe I shouldn't have prejudged him.

(sigh) Man, I don't know. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment