Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Oh, About Work Being The Best Part Of My Otherwise Bad Day ...

I went into work yesterday.  As I settle in, my boss comes in with a huge stack of papers.  That stack looks familiar because it had my writing on it.

Not to give all the details on my job, but for this particular task I need to look up where these papers need to be filed.  I did that through this software system we have.  But, I did not write down all the information I needed to write down.  Apparently the first-shifters took care of some of it.  But I estimate there were between 50-100 papers I needed to re-do at the start of my shift last night.  I think my boss said they did half, so I made mistakes on 100 to 200 papers.  Ah, whoops?

This mistake is for something I learned basically on Day 1.  If I go back to my thinking on Monday, I got to a point where I was writing down all the information when I thought, "Hey, you know, it doesn't really matter if I write down this number, so why do I keep writing it?"  Again, not to give all the details that won't make sense, but when I file certain papers -- and not others, which is probably where I got screwed up -- I need to go back into this software system and scan in the bar code on those papers before I file them away because, if someone needs to look them up, they can go on this system and figure out where it is.  Well, I cannot scan in this information without this ... uh, number that I needed to write down on that paper.  That's what I needed to go back and re-do.  Besides getting confused, I believe that my innate impulse to cut corners led me to think that I could go without writing down this information.  The best way I learn is to make mistakes, and boy howdy, I made a huge honkin' mistake Monday night.

I asked my co-worker, who got in mid-morning, if people in the department were mad at me that they needed to clean up my mess.  She assured me no one was, although she said that one guy "had some fun finding errors."  Well, to me, that sounds like that guy was mad, OK?  And this guy ... he was the one who trained me in this department, and he taught me to write down all the information, so I kind of think he's kind of pissed at me.  And ... well, it's a personality thing with me.  I sort-of fear him, and I'm sort-of over him.  He rubs me the wrong way.  So I have to admit that I kind of am worried about what he thinks ... and I kind of don't care what he thinks.  You know, maybe it's best that I don't have to run into him the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment