Friday, September 18, 2020

Thoughts On Second Shift, Almost Halfway Through

  • I like it.  Yeah, having the run of the place and not being bothered by anyone (well, mostly) is great.  I can play satellite radio through the computer as much and as loud as I want, and there's no one there whose feelings I need to worry about.
  • With that being said, I still have work that, at least for this week, I have to take from and have to give to two people in the adjoining room.  It for the most part is fine.  But the one guy there who also works second shift, someone I thought I got alone with OK, is kind of grating on my nerves.  He got to be kind of brusque this week.  He slammed a bunch of folders on the sill of my room, which startled me.  Also, he's been doing this thing where he hides forms in the middle of a folder instead of putting it on top.  If there is this form for a folder I have to deal with at a certain point in filing, that means I need to create another folder, and that takes up a lot of time.  I would rather be able to see it first thing when I open up the folder to check.  (Heck, it's better if I could see the sides of the form stick out of the folder.)  Instead, I approach a folder thinking that all I need to do is check for signatures, and then I encounter a folder whereby a form jumps out at me and screams, "Surprise!!!" and I get all pissed because I have to spend the next five minutes dealing with it.  Oh, and one more thing he does that grinds my gears.  Before, when he needs something from filing, either he would fax it over (I know we're in adjoining rooms, but it's better this way) or he would just come in and get in himself.  He has now taken to calling me.  And I find that pretty intrusive.  I just hate needing to get up just to answer the phone.
  • Another thing that frustrated me just today ... well, I'll start from the beginning.  My boss stayed late to check up on me as I came in to work; for this and next week, my shift begins right when his ends.  He wanted to show me one other thing related to my fuck-up on Monday.  He then told me that I had fucked up again on Tuesday, and this was probably related with not remembering in which stage of the "assembly line" the folder I made an error on was.  He told me that the best way to prevent that from happening was to use all four stations and make sure the folder I am working on was at the correct station so as to prevent commingling.  I did not do that on Tuesday because it was just easier for me to stay put in one place.  But I tried it last/Thursday night.  However, that meant that I needed to spread out so I could go from place to place.  And I didn't really want to stand last/Thursday night; instead, I wanted to be on a chair and just roll from station to station.  I was being lazy.  But one chair was in my way.  It is different from the other ones -- the good ones.  It doesn't roll as well and it's just kind of shitty.  But in order for me to roam free from station to station, I needed to finally get it out of the way.  So I pushed that chair to the edge of my area.  I've never done that before, and yet, now that I have done it, I wonder why I hadn't done it sooner.
  • Now about after work.  After work is the time when me and my body most acutely has had a hard time adjusting to the new schedule.  A part of me is raring to go and stay up once I get home and am free of labor, yet I still don't quite "get" that it's 12:30 by the time I get home, a tough time to get active.  Another part of me is ready to just fall asleep, and that's a temptation I'm fighting because my plan is to blog post once I get home, like I'm doing now.  So it has been hard to try and look forward to having something to do while understanding you don't have a whole lot of time in which to do it.  Hard to have goof-off time when it starts in the midnight hour.
  • But overall, would I mind working second shift permanently?  There would be many things I will miss about prime time, but if I'm being asked a binary question, I'd say yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment