Friday, September 4, 2020

Shit, Man, More Meetings?!?!

Yeah, I don't know if I want to get into it.  But ... we had a meeting with people from my college, and it didn't go well.  I thought, well, we'll just have to think about something else.  But then, out of the blue, the other side notified our side that they wanted to talk again.  And so we did that yesterday evening.  And unlike that last meeting, this one went significantly better.  We didn't get all that we wanted, but there was a dialogue that opened up, and instead of not talking for a few months, we agreed that a few on our side would talk to a couple on their side to come to an agreement about this impasse that we currently have.

Unfortunately, this working group will be discussing things that could use insight from someone in my position.  I am glad to help, I really am.  But between all these damn Zoom meetings that have resulted in varying degrees of success and failure, I am getting ground down.  Something this big and important takes time to hammer out, but right now I'm burned out and sort-of upset that this problem our rebellion has can't be instantly resolved in our favor.  This has taken a lot of time that I would rather spend ... uh, doing nothing, but it would be my time to throw away.  Right now, that time is not my own, and I feel resentful, I really do.

There is a complication beyond this.  The working group is initially slated to come together a couple weeks from now.  But work might come calling; my boss has asked if someone could substitute that week for someone who works second shift.  If I am asked to do it, this working group either has to be pushed back a week or go on without my participation.

The only saving grace to all this is that we on our side have decided not to meet on Sundays, like we have for the past couple months.  For some reason, meeting on Sunday nights has been a huge drag, and it's bummed me up once I realized this was going to be a regular thing.  Something about having Sunday nights to myself in order to prepare/mourn the beginning of the workweek has become important to me once it has, in a sense, been taken away.  So I get this Sunday back ... even though, come to think of it, a Mensa group convenes Sunday nights ever since the pandemic began, and, well, I'll join in progress this one because I've been missing it ever since I joined this college rebellion, even though I've been chafing over Zooming for social group as well.

And then the following Sunday I'll have to meet up with these folks again even though it'll be football season.  (sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment