Saturday, August 3, 2024

Being Told To Leave Work Early ... Just To Go Back And Work More

So at work yesterday/Friday my supervisor, as she was helping to do some of the stuff in The Third Department I wasn't able to get to (making calls in this position is such a damn time suck), mentioned that the "goal" was to get me out of here short of eight hours so that I cut down on overtime.  Fine, we're doing that shit again?  As I always say, I am there to get the work done, and so if I have to stay extra, I will -- for the good of the company.

Ironically, even though it didn't seem that way at the time, the work dried up before eight hours.  If she had left the work that she did for me instead, I would have stayed after.  But I left 15 minutes early.  Hey, I don't think I'm leaving the job just yet (although that may change soon, stay tuned), so maybe my boss will be happy if it looks as though I was making an effort to leave early, even if I still accrued overtime overall?

After making a deserved 2 1/2-hour stop at a speakeasy for dinner and drinks as a reward to myself for toughing it out in The Third Department (observation: I may need to blow off steam by cooling my heels at speakeasies on days after working The Third Department now instead of The Fourth Department; it might now be more difficult to work in the former than the latter), I went home real quick before hoofing it to Total Wine before they closed.  My phone picked up the house wi-fi and so I got the texts that transmit through wi-fi.  One of those was from my boss ... who asked me and another co-worker if we could come in to work today/Saturday.  And OT was authorized.

I planned on waking up early, trying to line up and eat at Al's Breakfast, then scoot over to the Black Hear to see the USWNT play Japan in the Olympics Quarterfinals, and then go home and sleep.  But I don't know the next time overtime will be authorized, so I think I'll stop in for at least half a day.  Which gets me to thinking.  First of all, why did my supervisor ask me to get out of work as soon as possible when my boss later asked me if I could come in the next day to work?  Furthermore, why is this company, and my boss, so stingy when it comes to OT when (even though I don't remember the last time it was authorized) it's OK this week?  I remember the halcyon days of this company when there was so much work, overtime was being offered like free beer at a LIV event.  I want to think that today is a harbinger of those days coming back, so my boss won't have to be so miserly when it comes to overtime, which would then persuade me to think that working there is still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment