#-1: United FC (Last Week: -3). My God. I don't think I've ever had a WMNSS where most of the teams had a .500 screening Week. Here, four of the five do. I wallow in a field of over-abundant mediocrity, so I don't know who to put first. In fact, if I do this survey in the morning, I'll probably have a different order.
But for now, I'm giving it to the Loons. My excuse: They're the only club that didn't lose this past Week. Yeah, that's it. Now, I was at Allianz Field Saturday night for their 3-all Draw vs. Orlando City, and that was weird shit. The Lions got up 1-0 in the First Half, and knowing how mid they've been all Year, I started concentrating on my cellphone. Then, in the Second Half, OCSC scored a second and then I really got into my phone. Then, by God, MNUFC scored not once, not twice, but thrice in the span of four Minutes to take the lead, and I swear, I don't think I've seen a comeback like that from any Minnesota team, let alone United FC, in Decades. But then in Second Half Stoppage Time, the Loons' leaky-as-shit Defense allowed the Match-tying Goal, and they give away two Points.
There was a home Game vs. Portland several seasons ago that is the closest to what happened here. The Loons led 3-0, then allowed the Timbers to score four Goals, and then they tied it up led to steal a Point. Here, their Tie puts them in ninth place and the last playoff spot in the West, glory be. That doesn't mean they're a good team. Not at all.
Saturday they travel to Portland. Wednesday they host Dallas. I don't know if I want to go that Match. For one thing, the NFL season begins that evening. Also, Jungle is playing at The Armory, and I really, really want to see them. MNUFC, give me a reason to see you instead of football or Jungle.
#-2: Gopher volleyball (NEW SEASON!!). They started off busy, tell you what. I don't remember if they've ever played four Games in a Week. But they did and they went, you guessed it, 2-2. Three of their opponents were ranked and, unfortunately, they only won one of those, so when considering the quality of their foes, the volleyballers land in the middle of the survey.
The results are so mixed that I'm not prepared to slot them as a great team, a good one, or an underachieving one. In the season-opening State Farm College Volleyball Showcase in Sioux Falls, S. D., they got swept by then-#12 Arizona St. on Friday, then swept then-#13 Creighton on Saturday. (By the way, this tournament was weird. There were five teams in it, and only five Matches were played. Purdue appeared in the first Match on Friday and then was done. The Bluejays, meanwhile, played thrice while Minnesota and the other three schools played twice. Huh?) In the Big Ten/SEC Challenge, being hosted in Madison, Wisc., they lost to 17th-ranked Florida in four Sets Tuesday, though they came back to defeat unranked Auburn in four last/Wednesday night.
They host The Diet Coke Classic, far from its flush days when there were three other clubs and they all played each other at the Sports Pavilion over three Days. There are only two other colleges now. Tomorrow/Friday night they host Miami; Sunday afternoon they host the exotic school St. Thomas.
#-3: Twins (Last Week: -4). They finish 3-3 this Week, they're six Games below .500, and somehow it's not outlandish to say that they're still in the playoff hunt -- only 3 1/2 Games behind Cleveland for ALWC3! But the Bullpen still can't be relied on, the Offense won't hit if Zebby Matthews isn't pitching (Matthews had a spectacular August), and we don't know when or even if Byron Buxton is going to be back in the Lineup. The organization is relying on its youngsters now, but it still seems as if the organization is spinning its wheels. What are supposed to feel about this club?
Last Week they hosted the White Sox and Detroit. This Week they travel to the White Sox and Detroit.
#-4: Gopher soccer (Last Week: -2). In their second and final marquee non-con Match, they bitterly lost 1-0 at then-#15 BYU last Thursday evening, 1-0, in the 78th Minute on an, ah!, Own Goal. They came home to defeat St. Thomas at Robbie Stadium Sunday evening, 2-1, but damn, that stupid Loss to the Cougars is costly.
Their second of three straight Matches at home continues Sunday afternoon versus Colorado College.
#-5: Lynx (Last Week: -1). The only squad not to go .500 this screening Week is the one you'd least expect -- the Lynx, the only glimmer of hope in these parts of bringing home a championship. On Saturday they lost for the second straight Game, 89-81 in Atlanta. Just before that they lost at home to Golden State, and I rationalized that by saying that Cheryl Reeve wanted to experiment with her lineup. I don't know if that's the case this time around. No, they may have just gotten beat. And that is scary for the fanbase's belief that a title is in the bag.
Many people believe the Valkyries, who sit second in the standings behind Minnesota, are now the odds-on favorite. That's because they have the #1 Defense in the WNBA, and have had the top spot pretty much all season. The Lynx are fourth in Defensive Net Rating, and have slipped on D since the All-Star Break. And hate to say it, but Napheesa Collier hasn't had the impact upon returning like I thought she would, or should. And now she (along with three or four other Lynx players) are in Germany for the FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup. I don't know if I want Phee playing in a tournament, even for country. Meanwhile, A'ja Wilson left Team USA, ostensibly to rest for the WNBA stretch run. That's a smart idea; why isn't Collier doing that? And that's not even thinking about what would the squad do if Collier got hurt bad. Then what?
Bad vibes around this team. All around.
No comments:
Post a Comment