Sunday, May 5, 2013

Addendum To: Three Things

Now I remembered what I wanted to talk about here instead of my Saturday!

On Thursday, in anticipation of Wear Your Favorite Sports Team's Jersey To Work Day the following day, I hauled out my North Stars sweater.  I had it drycleaned a couple years ago (or thereabouts), but I had not noticed that the instructions say not to dry clean but to instead wash it like you would any other clothes.  (I thought that since it was a really expensive jersey with embroidered logo and fight strip, it would need special attention.  My bad.)

The drycleaner marks every piece of clothing with a computer-generated tag.  The place I went to attaches that tag to the cleaning tag on my North Stars jersey with a pin.  Normal people usually take that pin out as soon as they bring it home.  I am not a normal person.  I didn't take off that computer-generated tag.  In fact, I had kept it on ever since I got it back.  I have worn it, oh, about a dozen times since it was last cleaned, and I am not ashamed that I wore that sweater with the drycleaning tag and pin still on.

What?  It wasn't like it was showing.  Besides, it was low enough only to press against my upper back, and there you couldn't even feel it.

But this time, on Thursday, I thought it was time to be normal.  I love my job, and I didn't think I could jeopardize the perception that I was a hard ... er, good ... OK, just an adequate worker by doing something as "strange" as wear a jersey with the drycleaner tag still pinned onto it.  So I took it off.

And there I found a notable thing, or at least a thing notable enough to write on Wailing And Failing.  I had never noticed the date on the tag, the day when it either was dropped off, processed or picked up: Tuesday, August 2, 2011.  I finally removed the tag Thursday, May 2, 2013.  I finally took the tag off of my Minnesota North Stars sweater a year and nine months to the fucking day.

That can't be just a coincidence, y'all.  That's a sign.  For something.

No comments:

Post a Comment