Thursday, November 27, 2014

Yeah, About Seafoaming My Car ...

... well, I guess I really, really didn't care that much because even though I set my alarm for 7:28, I turned it off.  I woke up for good at around a quarter after 8.  Oh, shit, I said to myself, that crunches my workout time before the community center closes at 11.

So as was my plan I drove the car out to the community center in order to Seafoam through what appears to be the brake booster line, the location for which I finally saw in an online photo.  The engine needed to be at operating temperature before I put it in.  I was kind of surprised at how many cars were in the parking lot, but it turned out that there was an open skate at the rink, of course.  I would have preferred if I had the whole lot to myself so I wouldn't bother anyone with the huge plumes of smoke that was supposed to come out of the exhaust pipe.

I step out of the car with it still running, pop both the hood and the trunk, and grab the can, clamps and pliers (to unclamp the hose), and plastic cup to pour the Seafoam in.  I look at the place where the booster line's supposed to be ... and it looks nothing like the picture.  What I think is the brake booster was attached to a bolt.  I unclamped the hose, but I was unable to untwist the bolt.  And then I thought, Well, is this really the brake booster line?  If this doesn't match the picture, well, maybe I'm about to make a mistake.  A few admittedly weak attempts to loosen the bolt later, and I nixed it.  Screw the Seafoam.

I did take the hood being open to check the wiper, coolant and steering fluid.  The steering fluid seemed a little low before, and it did this morning, so I took that out and poured a little in.  Just then the wind picked up and started to make my hand hurt, a lot.  That's when I realized that even if I was able to unbolt that line, my hands would get hypothermia by the time I put the Seafoam in, screwed the hose back on, waited 5-15 minutes like I was supposed to, then drive out the smoke through the tailpipe.

Yeah, so best laid plans and stuff.  Maybe I need to do more research and try this again, maybe in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment