Thursday, November 6, 2014

I've Been A Money Mule

Once a month I have to talk to my parents' property manager to pick up the rental checks for the properties they own.  I've been so busy with work lately that I did not store the checks I got from her for October.  Instead, I have kept them in my bookbag, the one I take with me everywhere.

I finally got around to depositing it at the bank Monday.  I headed home from work beforehand to sort through exactly how much money in cash I've been carrying with me for about a week, and the amount floored me: $5,750!  Shit, I was hauling that much money around me?!  Man, I would've been so fucked if I somehow left it out in public somewhere!  And if someone knew I as lugging around almost six grand, they would've mugged me!

I pulled off a similar handle today.  I had to pay this contractor for work on a couple of my parents' houses.  I was going to meet him today, so yesterday I put into my bag two separate envelopes my folks prepared for me when the contractor finished both jobs.  One was for three grand, the other a grand.  So at my desk today was four-thousand dollars in cash, just waiting to be stolen by someone if they knew and were so bold.

Maybe I should be a little more careful with money.

No comments:

Post a Comment