Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Why The Fuck Didn't I Start Cutler?

I broke my own cardinal rule when it comes to fantasy sports: Always, always, ALWAYS start players playing against the Vikings.  They are the team that keeps on giving fantasy points.  You can never fail when starting against my ViQueens.  Shit, I think I won many games whenever Minnesota played Tampa Bay because I always started Mike Alstott against them and he always scored two short-yardage touchdowns.  Hell, that's why I drafted him a couple times.

Sunday morning I did what I rarely do -- actually look at my starting lineup.  There I had Cutler or, gulp, Colin Kaeperinick at Quarterback.  I originally had Cutler starting, but goddammit I started listening to the doubters, those who said that Cutler's performance is indicative of a Chicago Bears team in a complete tailspin, and that he wasn't going to get out of it.  Little do these haters know that Chicago is playing the Vikings, the Jonas Salk vaccine of losing.

But eventually I switched out Cutler for Kaepernick.  I don't know when, for I was worried about other players too, including picking up Isaiah Crowell for some reason.  Later on in the day, when Cutler was the Cutler of old and racking up big yards against the piss-poor Vikings defense, I thought I was having a good day ... until I checked my lineup and realized that I indeed started Kaepernick over Cutler because everyone said so.  And my heart sank.

The difference between Kaepernick's OK day and Cutler's great day was more than 12 points.  My opponent for the week was my best friend's two sons.  He said not to worry; I was going to beat them.  Little did neither of us know that fucking Le'Veon Bell was going to go off on the Monday Night game.  I had downloaded the Yahoo! Fantasy Sports application Sunday so I could follow in real time Monday Night.  As the gap I had established on Sunday grew smaller and smaller, I knew what was going to happen.  So eventually I turned off my phone and closed my eyes, where I fell into a sleep in order to escape from my eventual loss.

And I know I did: Bell ran for 200 yards.  What really sucks, though, is that the margin of defeat is, I think, well within the dozen points that I would have garnered had I started Cutler.  But I didn't.  I am in the thick of a playoff race, and this is damaging, very damaging to getting to our postseason two weeks from now.  And all because I didn't have the gumption to stick with my gut and draw from experience of being a sorry Vikings fan.  Goddammit, do I suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment