Thursday, December 28, 2017

What The Fuck Am I Doing There?

I used to enjoy coming to work at the health insurance place.  Now it feels as if I'm slouching toward Gomorrah.

The reason I am getting fired two months before my time is because there is nothing for me to do.  Like I said, I understand it's a business decision and I understand the decision.  I still am sour about it, but I don't want to beat my chest about now needing to look out for #1.

Nor do I want to give the impression that I am not grateful for being allowed to work an extra eight days after being told I would be let go.  They could have fired me on the spot; as a temp, I get no protection if my supervisors choose to be dicks about it.  Instead, with the exception of one task I do late in my day, I have not had any other thing to do since last Monday.  I am getting paid regardless.  But it's so weird not only to not get any assignments from my bosses since then, but to not even talk to them, in person, since then.  Guess there's no need, and I don't think they're giving me the silent treatment, but shoot, nothing?  Not one extra thing before I go?  I come to work, which is still expected, but I sit around without much to do.  And then I leave, with scant more human interaction at the end of the workday than I generated at the beginning.  If I didn't show up, I'm not sure if anybody there would notice, let alone care.

Again, it could be a lot worse.  I could be hounded by supervisors every minute of my day.  But there is this sense of neglect I feel anyway.  Does no one care?  I'm getting paid $13.05 an hour to sit on my butt, yet no one in any position of authority asks me to do something.  This is going on for so long that the indifference is starting to get real creepy, I have to say.

Now, this interview that I had yesterday/Wednesday went well, I think.  If this department is going to pay me within the ballpark of what I am getting paid now, I think I'll transfer jobs.  And I will assume that there will be people invested in my productivity at this new job.  I might be working a lot harder in it, but right now, that would feel like a mighty relief.  It's nice to be wanted, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment