Friday, December 15, 2017

This Is Where I'm At My Worst

Alright, so when I last left off, I had ordered Rescue Tape from Amazon because I, in my current state of agitated desperation, believe that is the only thing that will fix the leaky pipes, which, by the way, has caused me to shut off the main water valve for what will be a third consecutive night.  But I was going to wake up early today to go down to a hardware store, just in case I could buy a roll of Rescue and use it tonight.

And, by God, I could.  Going everywhere last night -- Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's, Northern Tool -- I couldn't find it.  But in a fairly local hardware store, I found a roll.  So now I didn't have to buy it through Amazon.

But can I?  I've never cancelled an order on Amazon before.  So the first thing I did after I reached my cubicle was to login and try to cancel.  Unfortunately, they said that they were in the middle of shipping it; they'd get back to me.  And this afternoon, goddammit, they told me that it was too late.  I was going to get the Rescue Tape tomorrow (Saturday) even though I no longer wanted it.

I fucking hate situations like this.  I feel as though I need to make these huge, desperate moves to fix something that was dropping onto my lap, the move being ordering something online and paying a pretty penny for it.  (Getting this Saturday as opposed to Saturday was so expensive, the cost of shipping costs me more than the tape itself.)  I couldn't quite accept that, so I used all my American Express points to bring the total price of that down to $3+ just to salve my ego.  All of that I would have gotten back -- well, honestly, I don't know; for all I know, I could have lost all my points as soon as I used them -- if I were to cancel in time.  But, according to Amazon, I didn't.

So now I'm in an even worse bind.  I'm not talking about figuring out how to use it; I have a hell of a lot of anxiety that I'll just fuck up applying the tape already, but I don't have time to worry about that shit now.  Anyway, unless I realize that I need to use the whole damn roll to properly fix this -- and I don't quite know that yet -- I only need one.  I was hoping that that one was the one I bought this morning, the one I could break open and use tonight.  But since I have to get the one I bought through Amazon, and I'm freaked out as hell that the points I used won't be credited back to me if I returned that package, I'll just say fuck it and use the tape I ordered online and return the one I bought today.  I feel bad because I am going to use the more expensive roll (and I am including the Am. Ex. points I'm using to buy the Amazon Rescue Tape) and have decided to do my business with the behemoth Amazon instead of True Value, which has several stores in town yet is a fly on the back of the Amazon woolly mammoth.  But for fear of letting my credit card points go to a complete waste by not wanting to keep track of what will happen if I return that roll, well, I'm going with Amazon.

It'll be a third night without water.  I wanted it to end at two, but shit, I didn't have the urge to pee this morning.  I'm actually starting to be able to live without running water.  I mean, who needs this thing called "hygiene?"  I can go without washing my face!  And I'll be out using public bathrooms tonight.  Shit's gone sideways so bad that I'll go to a house party, then check out this curling Olympic trial close to home before going to Glam Doll to finish my night.

The weekend, however, might be a struggle.  The good thing is that I am working for the Vikings game tomorrow (Saturday) and Sunday.  That means I won't be at home, therefore I won't need anything at home.  I'll just keep the water off and turn the heater off and I should be OK.  The bad thing is that I am working the Vikings game tomorrow (Saturday) and Sunday.  That means I'll be too tired to do try and apply it after coming back tomorrow night (although, to be honest, I think I'm going to watch the NCAA women's volleyball championship and shop at the Megamall after work tomorrow).  And I sure as hell won't try and stay up tomorrow night with the Rescue Tape because I have to report to work Sunday morning at 6.  Sure hope I can literally hold my piss (and shit?) in Saturday night.

---

That Seinfeldian bullshit with the tape is where I feel at my most embattled and defensive.  Everything aggravates me right now.  I was trying to sleep in my car (trying to; I'm so goddamn aggravated that I couldn't sleep) when, as I was going to step out of the car from the passenger-side seat, I see this car and it's headlights in the side mirror.  It's not parked because the parking spots in that area of the ramp would not be aligned that way.  So what the fuck is that car doing there?  I saw a figure step out of the car, then get back in and drive away.  I think he or she could tell I was in my car, albeit on the "wrong" side, and that thought pisses me the fuck off right now.

Trying to get this fixed has been such a fearful focus of mine that I've been forgetting stuff.  For example, I was going to both return something addressed to my parents and deposit a check for my alumni club online, and I cannot find either the letter or the check.  I think I lost them before this thing with the pipe leak, but I haven't even thought about looking for them since Tuesday night.  Meanwhile, part of the reason I "tried" to fall asleep this afternoon is because I forgot my phone at my desk, and I was too afraid to fall asleep and not wake up until my day was over.  I've forgotten my phone at my cube a few times during this job, but only today has it made me, really, really angry.  And I only forgot because of the water leak and this BS about the tape.

I just hope I don't do anything I regret between now and when I can finally be rid of this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment