Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The Coldest Winter Chill

Late last (Monday) night I turned off the heat -- partially because it was really hot, partially because I had turned it on during the late afternoon, partially because I was afraid what would happen to the heater if I kept it running without access to the water, whose valve I continued to keep off for the time being.

I woke up around the 4 o'clock hour; shortly thereafter I burped up enough that I almost vomited.  GERD from the Cheesecake Factory, I'm guessing.  But then I noticed how cold I was.  The last time I felt such cold inside while I was alone was the early days of my internship in El Paso, when it was early March and the heat hadn't taken hold of west Texas.  The winds were wild a couple nights, pushing the cold air around the edges of my front door.  It was so cold that I actually though putting couch cushions around the edge would stop the winds.  I put on two pairs of pants and shirts to keep myself warm, and it still didn't work.  I fell asleep only because my body was too tired to stay awake.  It was that cold overnight.

Oh yeah; there was a heater in my apartment in El Paso, but I was making so little money that I didn't turn it on.  By the way, I checked recently at the apartment complex on Google Maps.  It looks as though the entire place was demolished.  In its place, I don't know.

I'm scared and I'm lonely.  I'll admit that.

No comments:

Post a Comment