Friday, December 29, 2017

I Have To Control That Hose

So for the second time in a week, I just about flooded the laundry room.

I am still dealing with the water pipe leak.  When I first shut off the water valves, water would still seep out of the holes.  That's when I realized that if I kept the faucets open and drain the excess water from the pipes that way, eventually the water from the main will drain out and the dripping would stop.  So from then on, I have opened up some of the taps, especially the ones on the basement floor.

What I failed to calculate is the strength of the water coming through the hose when I turn the main water valves back on at full force.  Apparently it has a lot of kick to it.  Didn't realize that the first time I flooded the room, over Christmas Break.  But when I did my usual check of making sure I haven't flooded the house and reached that room, I the hose, erect as my erection, spraying water to the ceiling on the opposite corner of the room.  Things got so waterlogged that I had to remove all the boxes of kitchen appliances my parents stacked in that area so I could turn them over and shake all the water out of the boxes.  That was hell.

I made sure I didn't turn up the faucet in the laundry room all the way.  But I still had to keep them open at least a little, otherwise there would continue to be water that's stacked up in the pipe which would slowly leak onto the basement floor.  So I only opened them up a little bit.

But that still didn't work last (Thursday) night.  I had to turn on the water so I could wash the dishes.  I thought everything was OK, so I did not check the laundry room after I turned the main on.  Only after I turned it back off that I went to the room to make sure everything was OK.  It wasn't.  It wasn't as bad as seeing water projected six feet across the room.  But the floor was wet.  There was standing water around the floor drain.  And, once again, I saw water on some of the boxes in that isolated corner.  So I had to take out the affected boxes and shake the water loose, again.  Not many as the first time, but if I had paid any attention, I wouldn't have to shake the water out of any of them, because I wouldn't have allowed the hose to spray water all over the freakin' place.

So I took out the boxes, like I said, and I wiped down the sides of the washer and dryer.  And all I could do about the flooded floor was wait for it to drain.  Checked just now; it's all gone.  But now I have to keep that faucet closed until I shut down the main, because I am not going through that crap again.

No comments:

Post a Comment