Saturday, December 16, 2017

There's Nothing Wrong With What Matt Damon Said

There isn't.

What's the problem with proportionality?  Do people who are instantly being outraged on social media even know what the fuck proportionality is?

Things such as due process, common sense or not jumping to conclusions surely aren't illegal.  But oftentimes they're the smartest things to use in cases like this.

It is a fact that what Al Franken did -- grope people, swoop in for a kiss -- is different from what Louis C.K. did -- masturbate in front of women -- is different from what Harvey Weinstein did -- coerce and then threaten women into sex acts, then using tactics rogue governments employ to investigate and harass those who threaten to rat on him.  There is a spectrum, and lumping all acts into one big evil act of "sexual harassment" will only ensnare those who truly made a mistake and allows no room for measured punishment and the ability to forgive.

It is shocking how people on the left have jumped on Damon, a man who has walked the walk when it comes to many progressive ideas.  This is the kind of piling on without any urge to step back and at least fucking think about what he is saying that, frankly, people on the right usually use to smear people they hate in order to silence them.  This is what I would call friendly fire.  In fact, it is a term I didn't want to use, but probably have to: This is political correctness.

My God, I just said it.  I have used a term Republicans decry about liberals.  But in this case, I see it.  And I hate that.

You know one of my greatest fears -- well, after death, the death of my family members, and that the Rescue Tape I'm going to put on the broken water pipe won't stop the leak?  That I will turn into a Republican as I grow older.  I do not want to be some reactionary, fearful, hateful man who refuses to change with the times.  But if the times change in a way that I abhor, well ... no, I don't want to say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment