Thursday, September 6, 2018

Everything Went Fuckin' Sideways On Me In The Last, Like, 36 Hours

I was hoping for a non-eventful week where I would come down from the high of the Minnesota State Fair and Labor Day, enjoy Tuesday off, mow the lawn after work and auction my fantasy football team on Wednesday, pick up Potbelly and eat it while watching the beginning of the NFL Thursday, do nothing on Friday, then work the Vikings game over the weekend while squeezing in my alma mater's game at our usual spot.  And this is where I say that the best laid plans are often ruined.

Start Tuesday night, when, out of the blue, one of the guys from The League (just between you and me, I consider him to be the slightly creepy scofflaw of the bunch) e-mailed and said he doesn't want to play anymore.  That fucks all of us over because that means we are at an odd number of teams, and with a non-even number, we can't draft.  Now, it turns out that Yahoo! Sports has instituted a new policy whereby a "bot" team can be created in order for leagues with odd numbers to draft and play.  I don't know how new this feature is.  But it saved our asses, even though this is an auto-team that will not pony up the $100 ante from which the rest of us humans could win.

In the meantime I'm squaring away the site of my alumni club's next game this weekend.  I assumed it would be at our old place, our home for games for the past, uh, eight years or so.  But I just got an e-mail from the head manager saying that he didn't realize until well, last night I guess that our game conflicts with the UFC PPV event.  I don't remember them holding UFC PPV events, but I guess they are now, and it looks as though it'll be so crowded that we'll be crowded out.  So I now have to hightail it downtown and either find some place that'll house us on short notice or tell the head manager face-to-face that we'll swallow our pride, hold our breaths in and squeeze into a corner to watch the game there.

Look, I don't think either the person who wanted out of fantasy football or the head manager of this bar are dicks.  I don't really think they pulled dick moves, either.  But the commonality with both of them is that they dropped bad news on me way too late.  With some foresight (easy foresight from the scofflaw fantasy footballer), I could have been given enough of a head's-up where, even though I wouldn't like it, I would have ample time to come up with a solution.  Now, there's no harm, no foul with The League, and I guess we could make do with a shitty situation come Saturday night.  But I really could have used some advanced warning.

---

Oh, and while those two predicaments were unfurling, Mother was fucking freaking out at LAX.  She called me twice to beg me to write a letter to a property management company over fines the homeowners' association in which they own a property levied against them.  It's a complicated issue, I have found; it's been going on for a long time, and my folks are definitely not at fault.  But Mother kept complaining and pleading that she doesn't know what to do, and she's scared and anxious, and she demanded that I write an e-mail to the prop managers basically saying, "I'm so skirred, what should I do now?"  And I really don't think it's necessary because I read the chain of e-mails between my parents, the company and the HOA, and there's really nothing that can be done until the HOA rules on my folks' appeal on the fines.  But Mother is losing it like a sundowning Alzheimer's patient -- she can't be suffering from ... can she? -- and what actually felt good because she was being needy towards me for once turned into outright annoyance.  "Alright, I'll send an e-mail before I go to bed!" I screamed at her before I hung up the phone.  Goddamn, she is fucking impossible to deal with.  And I know that she's not going to be satisfied with my e-mail and she's gonna let me hear about it because she thinks she can.

---

But hey, it doesn't hurt when I pee anymore!  Then again, my left eye has been red the past two days (but not my right -- do I have pink eye?).  Say, could they be related?  Am I having an infection that started in my dick but floated up to my eyeball?  Oh, well, my eye feels better now, so at least I'm healthy, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment