Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Addendum To: Opportunity ... Wasted

Remember when I said I had a weird day coming at work today.  Well … I overslept.

I remember waking up to what I usually wake up to: The alarm is set to play Nirvana's "About A Girl," the rendition from their Unplugged In New York classic.  If you know that album, you know that the beginning, the very first thing you hear, is the crowd cheering as the band steps onto the stage.  I have heard that so much, when either hearing my alarm or plugging my smartphone into my car and having the car automatically start playing my music (you know what I'm talking about, right?), that I've come to dread it.  And I think that I dreaded it so much today that I inadvertently hit the "stop" button on my smart instead of the "snooze."  Or, I unconsciously was so tired that I just wanted to sleep.

At any rate, I woke up, thought I should be going to work, looked at the phone that I took out of the plug attached to the wall and put onto my bed in my half-awake state, and saw that it was past 8 -- two hours after I wanted to get up and an hour after I should have been at work.  Fuck me.

Look, I'm not going to kill myself or anything.  But I was, and am, very ashamed that I was late, let alone this late, to work.  The last time I was this egregiously late was back in my twenties working at as a temp.  I was so tired that I slept through the afternoon.  I woke up, called my boss and apologized for not only being late but waking up at around 1, with most of the workday over.  I grew out of it (I think that is partly due to my body) and learned that a working man has to wake up when he has to -- well, at least until today.

I profusely apologized to everyone once I got to the office, but at least no one made a huge deal out of it.  And I'm not going to really lose any money this week; I got to work 90 minutes late, but I did two hours of overtime yesterday after work, which will not turn into, you know, regular work.  Plus, I squeezed in an extra half-hour because my boss wants people to help with filing.  So I will still be working more than 40 for this week -- just not as much as I planned, and with an unexcused absence to go with it.

Let's hope I don't go through this bullshit again tomorrow morning.  But maybe I can blame the cooling weather for what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment