Monday, December 21, 2020

Addendum To: These Are Still (Those Were?) Glorious Days

Saturday I planned on getting a massage -- and maybe, just maybe, a handjob -- from ******a, but she didn't return my texts.  I had also planned on taking a COVID test, but I was able to walk down from Glam Doll (which was sold out) to the clinic and get one in half an hour.

So, what I did instead was eat at fast food for the first time in some time (at Culver's), retrieve my phone because I forgot it, drive down to the Megamall to buy some Godiva, freak out because shopping traffic was not unlike the Saturday afternoon before Christmas, saw that there was a line at Godiva, leave after an hour (I should have left earlier; maybe I'll blog post about this some other time if I remember), and then, finally, park at Lyndale.  I was going to eat at two ice cream places, Milkjam and then Bebe Zito while walking up and down the street.  This idea was spontaneous, sorta; I went to Revival the day before to eat its very good burger, and seeing Nicollet was a good-looking street, I regretted that I didn't have time to walk it.  Also, being indoors at the Megamall with so many people made me want to make up for it by walking outdoors.  And I need the exercise, especially after I ate two scoops of ice cream, although I like Milkjam better (I will try Bebe Zito again in the future).

It was on my way back to my car, waiting for the walk light, when I finally stopped looking ahead or down at my feet so I wouldn't trip over the unlevel sidewalk, and I looked up.  I spoke about how I have loved the weather we've been having: Overcast, cool but not cold, and no snow on the ground.  What I like in a day, and what I have enjoyed many times this late fall/early winter I had right now, and under even more perfect conditions than all those other days.  Walks like this should make me ecstatic.  But I didn't realize I should have been stopping and smelling the roses until I was within eyeshot of my car, ready to leave.

Now, to be fair, Lyndale ain't a scenic route.  Well, it is interesting, but it's not a walk in the park.  Even in the afternoon I feel as though I need to keep my wits about myself.  If I just take a few steps to look hither and yon at the old homes and the beautiful gray sky, some asshole zipping up or down the street could throw a can of pop at my head.  However, when I got my ice cream, both times I found a good spot, stopped, stood, and ate.  After Milkjam I didn't do much looking or reflecting; no, I just ... ate.  And no one tried to zing a can at my head.  After Bebe Zito I kind of remembered why I was doing this, and so I did a little observing and being grateful, but mostly I was concentrating on comparing their ice cream to Milkjam's.

I actually got mad at myself for being more concerned with walking to my destination than enjoying the walking itself -- so much so that I decided I was going to drive to the Sculpture Garden and take a better, more meditative walk there, even though it was getting late in the afternoon.  My thinking was that I would feel safer just lollygagging there instead of the sidewalk of a busy street, so I would slow down there.  I took up to half an hour at the Garden, slowing down a bit and looking up at the sky and being thankful I could exercise my body in this glorious gray weather at my own pace and in my own time.  And yet I caught myself wanting to get to this sculpture or that sculpture, and then being distracted by the thought that I could have contracted the coronavirus at MOA, and then checking my watch to see when it really was time to go.

Maybe I'm being too hard on myself.  Maybe I did enjoy the walk and I'm being a perfectionist.  But maybe I'm too much in my head, thinking about what I should do, or the problems waiting to greet me at home, instead of just ... walking for its own sake, underneath dreary, perfect weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment