Tuesday, December 22, 2020

I Was Told There Would Be No Math With This Job

I am in this weird position of being really, really concerned about working too much this week.  I will try to explain.

So I work hourly, and my company still is not allowing overtime.  Christmas is Friday, so of course we have that off (with holiday pay).  I therefore am working 32 hours this week, and I have repeatedly been told by my boss to hew to that, down to the minute.

Two big complications this week, however.  I am still filling in on Sundays (a half-day), and I also volunteered to come in Saturday.  Moreover, my boss does not know how heavy or light the workload each day this week will be, seeing as this is the week of Christmas and, to a smaller extent, who knows if the pandemic has convinced some businesses to shut down for the whole week.  There is a possibility, my boss says, that I could be cut early on one more days this week.  But I have looked at my timesheets for this time last year and the year before; I left work early due to no work on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas), but the days before were all full days.

When I volunteered to come in Saturday, I thought that it would be a straightforward case where I would take the twelve hours I'm working both ends of the week and take them from, ideally, Thursday, where I can do my Christmas Eve ritual of going to Southdale and pick up something from the Cheesecake Factory.  But I am in a special position Thursday because everybody else is taking that day off.  My boss cannot give me even a half-day off because there might be enough work to last the whole day.  Or, maybe there won't be and I can leave early.  Who knows?

This leaves me/us no choice but to monitor my hours and ... well, I don't know what to do then, maybe complain to my boss.  I have been working out in my head how long I can stay each day in order to get to only 32 hours.  (By the way, if I go past 32 hours, I don't get holiday pay but instead regular pay, and for that reason my boss says he does not want me to go over.)  I also have to take into consideration I am basically at my boss' disposal Thursday and that I should plan for six hours Saturday/Boxing Day even though past years indicate I can get out of there a lot quicker.

Even though I see the reason not to go over 32 hours, I would rather do that than work less than 32 hours and then need to use my paid time off to make up for it.  Still, I am constantly doing the math in my head on how many hours I've worked so far this week to see what I've got left the rest of the week.  After the four on Sunday, I had 28 hours to spread over five days, so I was thinking to myself, "So, after Saturday, there would be two days where I could work four hours and two I could work five ... right?"  And then, even though I felt there was a chance I could leave early yesterday/Monday, I worked the whole eight, which means I now have only 20 hours to spread over four days.  That's five hours per day on average, but I'm supposed to plan out for at least six on Saturday, plus up to eight on Thursday.  If that's the case, I would be working only ... Christ, only three hours both today and tomorrow.  So why can't I just work one day for six hours and take the other day off?  Maybe I could ask my boss -- but he's on vacation until Wednesday.  Any leeway I may have to make the math work will be gone by then, I'm afraid; if he really wants to monitor my hours so that I don't go above 32, Wednesday would be the last day to do something about it, and if I'm coming in to work that day, I don't feel like leaving after 120 minutes just to make sure I stay below 32 hours.

If it were my call, I'd work a half-day Thursday.  If not, I would compromise and take all of tomorrow/Wednesday off to go to Southdale, take a COVID test, then see ******a to hopefully get a handjob which I think she's closer to giving to me.  (Just saw the forecast that we are supposed to get snow tomorrow; maybe it's better for me to work a whole day then?)  But it's not my call.  It's someone else's.  And I don't think he's stepping in in time for me to avoid this impending calamity.

No comments:

Post a Comment