Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Just To Let Y'all Know, There's Something Going On With My Left Hand

So last week I was opening a door at work.  In this day and age I am paranoid about catching germs.  I got this metal door opener/tool my boss' boss gave me so I wouldn't catch COVID-19 from door handles (and I got this several months ago, when there was a notion that people could catch the virus from fomites on objects; I believe research has tamped down the possibility of such transmission significantly), but this was in the morning, when I was getting into work and still had my gloves (gardener's gloves, which I bought because I was paranoid about catching the virus from touching door handles) on.

I put my access code in, and it unlocks.  Now, as you can already tell I am sort-of weird.  I make sort-of a point to open doors once in a while with my back fingers, i.e. the ring and pinkie.  One usually uses the thumb and index, and maybe the middle, fingers, but I think you should share the work for opening doors amongst all your fingers, or at least keep those back fingers nimble once in a while.

So I curl up those fingers into a claw -- you know, in anticipation of opening the door.  And when I pull on the handle to open it, I feel this ... twinge, I guess, from my muscles.  I don't remember where exactly it was.  It wasn't the fingers.  It may have been the hand, but it more likely was the wrist.

Ever since I have felt slight, faint discomfort in my left hand from time to time.  Just last night, as I was toweling myself off after a shower, I was reaching the towel around my back with my left hand and I felt that twitch again.  And I feel it sometimes when I'm reaching for something, or when I'm typing.  I don't have ongoing, intense pain from it.  But I have never felt a crick sound, let alone from my left hand, and I don't know if it's going away.

If anything happens to me, just know I told y'all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment