Tuesday, December 8, 2020

All For A Fucking Garage Battery

So a couple weeks ago my parents complained about beeping coming from the garage.  Turns out the backup battery, in the ... uh, housing thing was out of juice and needed to be replaced.  Who knew that the garage assembly needed a backup battery -- isn't it connected to the central power?

Instead of going to Lowe's to buy a replacement at the same price, my parents were OK with me buying it on Amazon because ... they were able to tolerate the beeping every 30 goddamn seconds coming from the garage, I guess.  No skin off my ass to drive to Lowe's to get one of these things.  The 'Rents were getting a little antsy, but it finally came yesterday/Monday because Father tried to replace it.

I emphasize the word "tried."  I came home and they told me they needed help replacing it.  Didn't think it was a big deal, at least from the YouTube video I saw about replacing the battery.  So I went up the ladder and, using the battery and Philips screwdriver that was on the top of that ladder, I opened up the housing opposite the one Father opened up, unscrewed the battery lid, and looked ... well, at what I presume to be the burnt-out battery.  All I am staring at is this black square.

And that's a problem, because what I should have been looking at is the top of the battery, with the black and red contacts and the wires connected to them.  That's because, according to the instructions on the YouTube, I can use those wires and contacts to pull the battery out of the housing.  But I have nothing to grab onto in this case.  And so Father and I spent, oh, a good half-hour trying to move, dislodge, coax and pry what we assume to be the battery (again, we don't know for sure -- we are just staring at the smooth black surface of a ... thing) out, and we couldn't.  We just stopped.  Father's going to try again today after he sleeps and gets back the energy he lost trying to fix this fucking thing.  If we still can't, I might try and buy a suction tool to yank that goddamn battery out.

Father asked me to look at some other YouTube videos -- the ones featuring the exact brand we have.  It still boils down to the same procedure: Unplug the whole thing, open up housing, unscrew lid, yank out battery, take out contacts, reverse said instructions with new battery.  All those videos have the contacts out and visible, so they are of no help to me at all.  But I noticed something: These "instructional" videos, showing you step-by-step what you need to do, doesn't show the step of physically yanking the battery backup out.  You see the battery and the contacts, and then there's an edit, and then you see the battery fully or partially out of its housing.  Is there something missing here?  Are the people making the videos hiding something?  Is it, in fact, a hell of a lot harder to pull out the battery than they're letting on?

There's some weird conspiratorial bullshit going on with this bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment