Sunday, December 20, 2020

I Think This Will Cost Me My Job

The nightmare scenario with working the Vikings happened yesterday/Saturday morning.  I woke up with a text from one of the networks, asking me if I could come in to work tomorrow's Game (vs. the Bears).  I can't.  Promised my main job I was going to fill in for an important Sunday shift that has not been filled.

This predicament was close to one I encountered earlier in the season.  I remembered this when the person whose job included this Sunday shift quit.  As had been the case for the 2019 Vikings season, when a domino effect of people resulted in a position being created to include Sundays for the purpose that I am coming in half a day for, I needed to plan ahead of time to let both of my jobs know which place I could work.  Of course, back in 2019, I felt confident the broadcasts would hire me for all Vikings home Games, and I knew that before the Sunday shift opened up.  That plan changed this year, whereby I would not be working all Vikes Games ... well, until I got this frantic text and e-mail two days before the first home Game of the season (versus the Packers) saying I could, but someone beat me to it.

I had that in mind when this woman quit.  I knew Sundays needed to be covered by someone, and I was happy to do it ... provided I wasn't working Vikings Games.  It is my preference to work Vikes Games because it's fun, the pay is good, it's in my field of interest, and I worked it longer than my main job (even though it is seasonal).  And so I asked the crewer for this broadcast to tell me, as soon as possible, whether there would be a need for someone to work a Game.  She texted back that she'd try.  Best we both could do.  But I waited till Wednesday to tell my boss I could come in on Sunday, and now she tells me this.

It is ironic that the first time someone frantically called me to sub for a Vikes Game I could do it, though I was just beaten to the punch, but the second time I was asked I think I was the first one offered but I couldn't do it.  And I have the very, very bad feeling that this time around will cost me my job with them.  There are other people who have been there for her this season -- who have been "dependable."  And my 15-Year history with these guys won't mean dick next season, when things go back to normal and the usual positions will be filled.  People (and they probably aren't the same people who I'd be dealing with because they turn over a lot) will just look at who helped them in Minneapolis the season before and just hire them on to the jobs I used to do.  And I will be cast aside because I couldn't help these people in a pinch.

That's my fate because I had to say no to the crewer yesterday morning.  That ain't fair.  But I'm afraid that is what's going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment