Thursday, December 31, 2020

Good Fucking Riddance To 2020

So, 2020?

Pandemic.

Black Lives Matter.

The Election.

That's it in a nutshell.  A year that seemed to stretch so long (even though some times, at least for me, it went by in a flash) boiled down to those three things.  Maybe knowing that a year can be summed up by three topics is a sign that it was a long year.

I have to admit that personally, without national and world context, it was a good year personally.  No one I know died, thank Buddha.  I was in good health all year, even though I could stand to lose a few pounds.  (I am sitting on the dining room table, and I just finished the rest of my Coke, and I am about to finish this small bottle of Mumm Napa Brut Prestige -- maybe that's why I could stand to lose a few pounds.)  Work is still ... work, in that I still have a job that I have not gotten tired of nor been run out of yet.

My sex life has gotten better because I've done way more one-on-ones, even though I haven't been to a house party in months.  And I think that is the main reason why my savings accounts have swelled: I haven't had any place to go to spend it.  That really is a good thing, even if I have charged hundreds of dollars on my credit card(s) every month.

With that being said, I won't miss 2020 for a goddamn second ... well, unless 2021 is appreciably worse for me on a personal level.  Anyway, I cannot really separate what has happened to me personally from the countrywide and global context, so in that sense, 2020 has been an annus horribilis.  And I think we can all agree that we can't wait for it to go.

Good fucking riddance, you evil, evil year.

No comments:

Post a Comment