Sunday, March 6, 2022

She Didn't Like Any Of Them?!

The consigner rejected all of my stuff -- the three suits, the suit vest, the six dress shirts, the shorts, the four pants, all of them.  I was told that there were telltale signs of "wornness" and that, maybe most damningly (I am speculating here), all the clothes were at least three years old.  Oh, so you want your clothes young, like a sartorial Jeffrey Epstein?  You gotta be fuckin' kidding me.  And what do you mean by "worn?"  I didn't see any rips or holes or anything.  All of the pieces I turned in (and there were some that I didn't bring in) looked fine to me.  I thought that there was some, er, leeway when it came to the condition of one's clothes.  These are secondhand, after all.  But no, apparently they have to be perfect, otherwise they're just Goodwill shit, amirite?

I have jeans from 7 For All Mankind that I was willing to give them to sell.  I have pants from J. Crew that I don't think I nor anyone else has ever worn.  Both items are the tentpoles of the 15 pieces I was going to give them.  They didn't want even those two things?  They didn't they couldn't sell them?  Or were my items just beneath them?  Fuck, man, I don't get it.

At least I know that consignment shops (at least this one) have a hoity-toity attitude to clothes that people have worn more than seven times.  Maybe a more down-to-earth place, like Goodwill or the Salvation Army, will think these clothes are good enough to take.  No, I won't get money for them.  But it appears as though I wouldn't get money for them wherever I go.  Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment