Sunday, March 13, 2022

Teams 64-9 ... I Think I Get It ... Now ... ?

Oh, OK ... I just compared the Play-In Games with the seed list released this evening.  The latter puts, in order, the 68 teams playing in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament in order of best to worst.  That doesn't mean they're bracketed like that; because of bracket principles, most notably avoiding setting up a (real) First Round matchup between teams that have already played earlier in the season, the Selection Committee can move teams up or down a seed line.

I think that got me confused, because I was looking at a CBS Sports graphic showing that the Last Four Teams In were, in order, Indiana, Notre Dame, Rutgers, and Wyoming.  They then had the First Four Teams Out (which should be called the Last Four Teams Out because ... nah, maybe I'll explain another Year) of, in order, Dayton, Oklahoma, SMU, and Texas A&M.  The seed list, I have been told repeatedly, is the Selection Committee's tabula rasa, and all bracketing flows from that.  So I'll take it on faith that, assuming all else I have seen on the Internet is gospel, the following is true:

Team 64 (aka The Real Last Team In): Michigan
Team 65 (in the Play-In, but really should be the #1 overall seed in the NIT, which has its own cachet, tee-hee): Wyoming
Team 68 (lucky by the capricious greed of the NCAA grace of God): Notre Dame
Team 69 (fucked IRL, but really not that good): Dayton

Teams 66 and 67, by the way, are, respectively, Rutgers and Indiana.  So that CBS Sports graphic got the teams correct, but not in the right order.  It really should have been Wyoming, Rutgers, Indiana, and Notre Dame.  But whatever: The Play-Ins are stupid and they should be eliminated because it is disharmonious to what was the perfect and pure bracket in earthly sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment