Thursday, March 10, 2022

E-Mail, Facebook Now Out Of Control

Hey, man, I get busy.  And apparently a couple weeks ago I've gotten so busy that both my Newsfeed on Facebook and my main e-mail inbox have amassed, respectively, dozens of unread status updates and hundreds of unread messages.  Doesn't help that my inbox have now been flooded with hundreds upon hundreds of fundraising appeals by Democratic candidates.  Still, I should be on top of that, and I should be on top of my Facebook.  And I haven't.  It's overwhelming.

I feel as though I can't catch up on my laptop.  It's old and it's breaking down, and so it feels as though I can't whip through them as quickly as I could if my lap was new.  So, I go to the powerful one at the library to speed through them.  However, as of now, I am at over 1,800 e-mails in my main e-mail inbox.  I spent an hour going through it (amongst other things), and I think I got through 300 of them before I had to leave.  Meanwhile, the Facebook Newsfeed, uh, feed is not user-friendly.  I click on the Notifications bell icon on the upper right to get the list of unread status updates, and I have to scroll all the way down to the earliest unread update.  Moreover, once I get to that update and want to go the next one, I have to click on the bell again and scroll all the way down to the bottom again.  I was able to, somehow, not face that constant doing over when I was last at the library.  Instead, when I was ready to go on to the next update, I clicked on the bell and saw that my feed was where I left it: At the bottom, right at the earliest unread update.  I don't know how I got it, but it disappeared after a while, and I have no idea how to get it back, so now I have to go back to the top of the feed and scroll all the way down every single time.

Yeah, first world problems, privilege, I get it.  But my first e-mail has, I think, 48,000 frickin' unread messages going back a decade.  I swore I would stay on top of what I could control, namely my Facebook Newsfeed and the inbox of the e-mail address I use most often nowadays.  And clearly I am not, and clearly I don't know when nor how to get back in control of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment