Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Bad Movie Timing

OK, so I got out of the first day of my training early yesterday.  (It went well, by the way.)  Had enough time where I thought I could squeeze a movie in.  My parents are leaving soon, which will free up my Tuesdays, but there's such a glut of movies I want to see that I thought that I could get in a movie yesterday and then one today before I head off to the Tottenham Hotspur-AC Milan exhibition match at Ooooos-Baaaaahnk Stadium.  If I don't, I'm afraid that a film I want to see will be out of theaters.

I make it up from my new place of work to the theater in about 15 minutes, about a quarter to 3.  But that is some bad timing, because none of the movies that I want to watch was about to hit a new screening.  The closest one is the latest Mission: Impossible, and even then I would have had to wait a half-hour before it began.  That was going to be the flick that I would squeeze in today, after leaving work but before the soccer game, but I thought that as long as I was there, maybe I should just pay the higher ticket price and watch it yesterday instead.  That way I could be assured that I could do something I need to do: Visit the alumni chapter's Plan B bar because we need to go see a game there next month.  Eventually, though, I didn't think the difference in price justified paying more for seeing Monday as opposed to Tuesday.  Besides, I have a month, I can grease the wheels with that bar some other time.

There was a movie that was beginning just as I got there: The documentary Three Identical Strangers.  But I already know what happens and the big twist in the story of triplets who didn't know the others existed, and frankly, it was very sad to me, so I don't want to see it.  So I left, had McDonald's, and sorted through my receipts at the library.

Not wasted hours.  But even though I knew it was possible, it kind of seems to be a pain-in-the-ass that unless it's a huge movie that has just come out -- like the latest Mission: Impossible -- there are no movies that are rolling through all hours of the day.  Screenings don't seem to be fully staggered; rather, they all have a window of 90 minutes, maybe a couple hours, where they all begin, and then there's 90-120 minutes before the next window of screenings start.  This is not the first time I've gone to a theater and lamented that I was too late for one wave of screenings and way too early for the next, and therefore just left.  And I guess that since the theater starts at a certain time of day, the first movies at all the screens have to screen at around the same time each morning, and that kind of dictates the regularity of screenings throughout the day and thus the holes inbetween them.  I just happened to arrive in one of those holes, and I didn't want to wait.

Well, I'll squeeze in the flick today, assuming I get out of work when I'm supposed to.  And then I hopefully will have time to at least find parking and get to the soccer match.

No comments:

Post a Comment