Friday, July 6, 2018

Barren On The Job Front

Need to talk myself down because of the shit-ass 1-2 punch of mistreatment in customer service, and I thought I came up with something that at least wasn't a downer, but like so many things, I immediately forgot about it.  So I have to talk about something depressing: Finding a job.

Three things about it.

  1. I realize just now I haven't talked about this; I was furloughed yesterday.  I knew going in that because the law firm was closed I would have both Tuesday and Wednesday off.  But Tuesday afternoon I received an e-mail from my temp agency that I was taking yesterday/Thursday off as well.  Why?  I think they don't know what the hell we're going to do.  Shit, we're supposed to do "quality control" when we get back in the morning, but I've done most of that already.  This is a sure sign we're winding down.  I don't know how much work there is left.  I don't know if we'll have a full week next week.  Fuck, today could be our last day for all I know.  What I do know is that I'm getting paid for only two days, and coupled with taxes and parking eating into my hourly wage, it's not going to make a dent in the huge credit card bill I'll need to pay off.
  2. So I've been casting about for the next vine to keep my head above water.  I'm still trying to work this lab job, and I'm still undecided over it.  On Tuesday evening I see an e-mail from the company's PR person stating that she wants me to call her back.  Since it was late Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday was Independence Day, I felt no rush to get back to her until Thursday morning and say that I would call her around noontime, which is when I was at the dealer getting my car serviced.  She e-mailed me back saying that was cool.  But she didn't pick up her cell, so I left a message.  Getting anxious, I called her about four hours later, before I started exercising.  No answer.  Left another message.  She lets me know she wants me to call her, and when I do call her (at a time she agreed to), she ghosts me?  I'm scared as fuck that I got rejected for the job.  Well, I won't be all that heartbroken -- we have to talk about all the Saturdays I'll need to miss, and for that reason alone I don't know if this is the right job for me.  But that determination may have been made already, if this person's refusal to pick up the phone is any indication.
  3. But there were some things that popped in all the other areas where I applied for jobs.  I received a lot of voicemails from out-of-state by people with Indian accents, for some goddamn reason.  But there was one native voice, with a local phone number, telling me about a job that was very close to where I live.  So I get on the horn (several hours after I saw this message) hoping to talk about the job with her.  Instead, she starts interviewing me and asking me for my resume.  At the end of it I asked her if the job I applied for, for which she ostensibly is looking for, is still available.  She basically said -- and this is weird -- "Oh, I think that was for a different website ... hey, I have to track so many things that some details fall by the wayside.  So, how about that resume?"  I appreciate her calling me, but this isn't the first time I got bait-and-switched like this, and it's starting to piss me off.  I don't think she had that job lined up for me at all.  She's just trolling for people she can make money out of.  And she probably won't be able to deliver, and I'll be back on the street, homeless and penniless.
Upon further reflection, I think I would have felt better of myself if I just blogged about those two rude bitches I encountered yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment