Monday, July 30, 2018

The Weekly Minnesota Sports Survey

OK, I have to do this quickly because I start my new job this morning and I thought I was going to do this last night but I fell asleep way before midnight so I apologize for rushing this but it doesn't really matter because both teams absolutely suck:

#-1: Twins (Last Week: -1).  They had a little thing going early in the screening week, sweeping Toronto in the T.O. (and by convincing margins) and surviving Fernando Rodney's bases-loaded crap in the bottom of the Ninth Inning and winning in Boston 2-1 Thursday to go on a four-game winning streak.  But they are now on a three-game losing streak.  Friday's was the worst: They went ahead in the Ninth against Craig Kimbrel (only the second Save chance he's blown this year), only to lose that lead under Rodney (my God, we've been ride-or-die with this guy all year; I have no idea how the fanbase hasn't had a heart attack by now) before losing the game under Matt Belisle in the Tenth.  Lance Lynn coughed up an early 4-1 lead Saturday, and Jose Berrios was dancing around a bunch of stranded Red Sox, but the Twinks' bats were left empty and they were shut out yesterday, 3-0.

The Trade Deadline is Tuesday.  Eduardo Escobar and Ryan Pressly was traded Friday to Arizona and Houston, respectively.  This weekend wipeout should induce Falvey and Levine to trade even more -- Brian Dozier?  Placido Polanco?  Lynn?  Zach Duke?  Rodney?  Might as well fucking trade them all.

Cleveland is by far the worst of the six division leaders, and ironically has the best chance of winning their division than any of the others.  The AL Central is that shitty.  But they play Minnesota for three starting tonight.  Oh look, there's a day off!  And then they play Kansas City, a butt club the Twinks got swept at, for three.  At least both series are at home.

#-2: United FC (Last Week: Positive Numbers).  I really thought their good recent form would lead to a win in Vancouver Saturday.  Nope -- these guys still are Jekyll and Hyde on the road.  This Alphonso Davies character is good.  He was signed by, all of teams, Bayern Munich late last week, but unfortunately he was loaned back to the Whitecaps for the rest of the season.  I and the Loons wish he was over in Germany now, because he roasted our Loonies for two Goals in a 4-2 victory.

I didn't see the game, thank Buddha.  But Head Coach Adrian Heath seemed pissed after the game.  All I could tell (at least on Twitter) is that there were a couple of mind-numbing dumb-ass plays by the two starting Holding Midfielders, Ibson and Rasmus Schuller.  The former back-heeled to nobody on a rare counterattack; the latter sent a weak pass to a Whitecap which started a counterattack which led to, I believe, the second Davies Goal.  (This was off a Corner Kick where they inexplicably went short and, as far as I can tell, made a fucking hash out of the whole thing.)

When asked by Jamie Watson whether this loss will lead to bringing in more people before the Transfer Window closes, Heath said, "I hope so."  Was he just acting out of anger?  If not, are those two Holding Mids -- who had played well up to this point, by the way -- the players he wants replaced?

Saturday is the last home game this squad will have in a while.  It's against Seattle, therefore it should be winnable.  I promised the local Liverpool fan club I would join their pre-match tailgate some time this season; this has to be the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment