Wednesday, July 18, 2018

A Decision That Backfired On Me ...

... and it involves, what else, food.

Yesterday evening I attended a United FC seat selection meeting at their headquarters.  It was late in the afternoon, and after I decided I really wanted to get my seats then and there instead of waiting, I looked at my watch.  It said 5:30.  I was in Golden Valley, and knowing how bad traffic was, I texted Father on my way back out to my car that I was going to be late, coming home at 6:30.

I'm bad at anticipating backed-up traffic.  However, even though I initially cursed myself for not doing a U-turn and going up 100, I go to 94 on time enough whereby I would be home by 6 -- my usual time coming home from "work."

So I could have come home at my regular time.  On my way home I needed to by lotto tickets for Father, but that was no big deal -- I'd just come home a bit past 6 instead of at 6.  But I didn't want to change things on my parents again.  But what to do?  I know -- eat!  But should I?

I think it's fair to say that having the following internal monologue is a privilege of someone with a bit too much time on his hands.  I did not think I was going to have a big and/or wow-type meal at home.  I figure it would be that dish with tofu, egg and that meat with all that fat or something.  In other words, what I would have for dinner wouldn't be something I would get fat over.  That means that I could stop at the gas station, buy the tickets, get a little bite to eat, then come home closer to the 6:30 I told my folks.  So I did not go home early/at my usual time.  I thought first to get a hot dog from the gas station, but then I saw that sign where they goad you into getting a second dog for a buck, and I didn't want to eat that much.  There's a Taco Bell attached to this gas station, and I got their Nacho Fries Supreme, something I don't think I've ever had.

So I got home a bit before 6:30.  My parents were done eating.  And, unfortunately, I had ... soup.  Pho, to be exact ... or is it bun?  Anyway, Mother always makes a kick-ass soup.  It's one of my favorites from her.  And I couldn't quite enjoy it, let alone eat it within, like, an hour, because I was full from eating the Nacho Fries Supreme from before.  If this were a "lesser" dish, I could've stopped myself from eating too much.  But this is a bowl of soup, and one that I usually want to finish because it's awesome, and although I did eat it all, my appetite was ruined.  Maybe I should have just gone home early and bypassed Taco Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment