Sunday, July 15, 2018

You Know, I Should Blog About This World Cup Game Before The Final

So I'm this World Cup predictor/March Madness-like game (and by the way, why aren't there more companies that did this?  I only saw two places: The one I'm blogging about, and the official one through FIFA.  Man, those guys maintain a tight grip on something that could be much more popular if they only loosened the reins on their rights.).  And I did pretty good.  So good, in fact, that I won free food for Group Stage and, it looks like, free food for the Knockout/Tournament Stage as well.

I had dreams of winning the grand prize, which is free food for a year and a 50" TV.  I got three wrong in the eighthfinals and I had Brazil beating Belgium, but other than that, up to this point, I've been really good.  And so I tracked myself -- well, up to before the semifinals, because I was afraid of getting my hopes up when I looked at the leaderboard.  Last time I checked there were, like, four dozen people I was behind.

But then both France and Croatia won.  And I swore that I would look, just one time, before the final, which is in ... an hour.  I knew I should't've done this, but I had dreams that I was leading.  I knew that could not have been the case ... and when I scrolled down the leaderboard last night while at Glam Doll, that was true.  I'm only four points behind the leader, and if France wins I'll overtake that person.  But I currently sit in a nine-way tie for tenth.  That means that for me to win, 1) none of the guys in front of me have to also have France winning and 2) if there is anyone with whom I am tied after the title match, I would have to beat them in the tie-breaker, which is predicting the total number of goals in this whole World Cup.

Yeah, not gonna happen.  So it doesn't really matter if France or Croatia win.  Pressure's off.  But hey, at least I'll get free food from this!

No comments:

Post a Comment