Thursday, July 12, 2018

Now That I Think About It, I Was Pretty Mean To That Girl

There was a girl who came over to the house a lot when we were young.  Her mom was friends with Grandmother.  It was only upon Grandmother's death where, assuming what my sister said was the truth, I learned the truth: This friend was the gateway through which Grandmother and my parents were able to come to America.  Now, I don't know all the details, and I certainly can't vet them.  Hell, I don't even know 100% if this girl is related to Grandmother's friend because I noticed very early on that she didn't look like the "mom" she always went with.

Nevertheless we hung out a lot because her "mom" always brought her over when she visited Grandmother.  And I don't know how we got to be so chummy, but me, her and my brother did.  I remember going to McDonald's a lot.  I remember us three doing a deep dive into pro wrestling, none of us knowing that it's all fake.

And then we drifted apart.  Don't remember when, don't know why.  But I remember her coming back, all these years later, when I was in high school.  (My brother may or may not have been there.)  Her "mom" came over for the first time in a long time, and she came over, so she was probably in junior high or high school or something like that.  And … I freaked out as soon as I realized she was here.  I ran into my room to hide.  I felt really bad at the time.  Was just really quiet as I heard her, after a while, playing with or assisting my sister or some other child who was over at our place.  I don't know how long they were at home, but I'm guessing it felt like an eternity.  Stayed quiet the whole time they were here, only sneaking out of my room as soon as I knew they were gone.

I'm certain she knew that I was in my room.  I have no idea how she felt/feels about me holing up in there and refusing to come out.  I, like a coward, can only think about how I felt and feel.  I think this meeting was a surprise.  Not only had I not seen her in years, I didn't they she and her "mom" would come over.  I was blindsided, and I hate that, so to fight back, so to speak, I hid.  I hid until they relented and left.  I win, I guess, but I still kind of think how much of a dick I was.  And I still feel like that to this day.

I wonder where she is.  I wonder if she hates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment