Friday, July 13, 2018

So ... Apparently I Lost My Job On Tuesday??

OK, this law firm job is kind of jerking me around.  Similar to what happened last week, because of lack of work and (according to my supervisor) lack of direction from his client as to what we need to do with the raw information we have put into spreadsheets, we were furloughed on Tuesday.  We were told that, like last week, we should wait to hear from the temp agency as to when to report back.

So I took the day off Wednesday and headed to the Nomad for the Croatia-England World Cup semifinal.  Yesterday/Thursday I spent most of my afternoon at the library, seriously starting up the paperwork for my new job.  (Oh, the new job, have I not talked about that yet?  I will because I have to.)  I was expecting an e-mail like I did last Wednesday saying we're coming back for work Friday.  But even as I was checking my laptop during my workout yesterday afternoon, I didn't get anything, so as far as I know, we're not coming in today, and therefore our workweek is done.  And since this new job wants to start Monday, he-he, I'm done there.

I had a feeling that Tuesday was my last day.  My contact at the temp agency believed we were going to be done this week.  Add that to this furlough and accepting this job, and I'm glad I had a second thought about leaving all my stuff at work and instead taking them all home with me.  And I even slipped in a sort-of-but-not-so goodbye to the closest of my three fellow temps before I left on Tuesday: "Hope to see you ... somewhere."  Because assuming my drug test is done and cleared, I ain't coming back.

You know, although I've been treated well at this gig (my supervisor left me alone save for a convivial meeting every afternoon; I was able to go downstairs many times for as long as I want), I don't remember a job where I was told to not come back until told to by my temp agency.  I remember a couple instances at the test scoring places where we were told on a day that that was our last day, and that is worse.  But this is nonetheless a strange situation where I don't know why I need to come back.  And that really affects my bottom line.  I think it's right to assume I will work.  To be cut off from that work, and then to be on hold as to when I will be back to work, to me is too reminiscent of being a temp.  Hopefully as a full-timer now, I won't have to go through this "on-call" ridiculousness where, like someone working retail or at a fast food restaurant, you have to build your day around the potential of being told to come into work and not being paid for that preparation.

In other words, the past couple days is one of the big reasons why I finally got sick of being a temp.  So weird to not return to a job that I didn't know was I was finished with.

No comments:

Post a Comment