Friday, May 15, 2020

It Is A Sign After All ...

Today at work my boss e-mailed everyone to ask for an update to their unemployment weekly benefit.  He says it could change.  I don't think it ever has for me when I was on the dole, so that doesn't make much sense.  But he wanted an answer, so this evening I looked it up -- and, so long as I needed to be on the unemployment website to look up this answer, I might as well move applying for last week's benefits up a day and do it last/Thursday night.

To apply, I needed to punch in the amount I made last week.  To compute that I needed to know precisely how many hours I worked.  (It is supposed to be 20 hours, but I had to stay late a couple days so it ended up being more than that.)  However, I inadvertently logged into my company e-mail.  There were a couple new messages for me, and one piqued my curiosity.

It was from the CEO of the company updating us on the company's employment situation in the face of the various lockdown orders due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.  It said that even though some parts of the company are picking up, the dearth of testing for anything not related to COVID-19 has forced the company to, uh, make decisions on future employment for employees.  The announcement of said changes, whatever they are, is supposed to made some time next week.

Now, what my boss asked makes some sense.  And it frightens me.

No comments:

Post a Comment