Thursday, May 20, 2021

Addendum To: The Squatting Bird

OK, so an update on the bird that made a nest behind our porch light. ...

A couple weeks ago (I think), I came back from work and saw some ... crap splattered on the porch directly below the nest, a little farther up on the vinyl siding, and then right behind the nest.  From the greenish, uh, leavings on the porch, I figured that the bird or birds pooped.  But how do you poop on vinyl siding?  Did a bird, like, shart or something?  Or did something blow up, like ... a bird?

Oh yeah ... so the occurrence of a bird flying away as soon as I opened the door stopped happening after a while.  However, I was curious and I looked up at the nest.  What I saw a few times was something heaving up and down, like it was breathing.  Was that the bird that flew away, and now wasn't?  Did she give birth to new baby chicks?  Was it an elderly bird?

Well, those are all guesses, because at some point after that, there was no activity in the nest -- no heaving mass, no escaping bird, nothing.  Or at least I hope so, because early this week I looked up at the light and I saw no nest.  This was such a thorough clean-up job that Father must've demolished it, as well as cleaned up the poop/bird carcass all over that area.  I hope to Buddha the bird(s) abandoned the nest by the time My Old Man went through it.  And I really, really hope that he didn't trash the nest with any young chicks in it.

If neither worst-case scenario didn't happen, well then ... bye-bye, bird(s).  I hope it was nice living with us, even with all the loud noises we made whenever we opened the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment