Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Damn Box Elders

I know that they are harmless.  But they're out in force with the warm weather we're having relative to the time of year.  And in the afternoon, the front of my house faces the sound, and so that side of the house warms up, and that attracts the box elders.

There were at least dozen, and probably more, of those cringey things on my front screen door.  I was going to live and let live, but apparently one of those suckers hitched a ride on my shirt.  When I picked my shirt up from the stair after putting it down so I could put other things in my hands away, there was that stowaway hiding under the lip of the stair.

That's when I had enough.  I found some bug killer downstairs, went up to my screen door, and started spraying.  And then, in a move reminiscent of salting the earth, I started spraying down the front of my house, especially around the window frames, just in case they want to come in.  They're flat, so they don't need much of a hole to shimmy through.

And I found two box elders on my side of the front door once I went back inside.  One of them may have been that stowaway, and it wasn't moving.  The other seemed to have crawled along the floor to get inside, but it was spasming like it was slowly dying.  I swept both up and threw them in the garbage.  Hope the bug spray got more of them, and I hope the rest stay away because I sprayed down the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment