Sunday, October 30, 2022

Oh, He Quit? Oh OK

So one of the people who trained me at work -- the one whose personality, let's just say, did not mesh with mine -- quit.  He has changed lately.  Not personality-wise; he had set a work milestone just before leaving for a very long vacation.  He didn't seem to come back when he was supposed to, and when he did, he only worked second shift, something he has never done while I worked there, as if his new work milestone gave him the power to just set his own hours.  And then, on Friday, my boss told me he is done as of today/Sunday.  In retrospect, this new "schedule" makes sense; he worked second shift the past two weeks because, I think, that is the bare minimum he needed to work at our company right before leaving the company to preserve any chance of coming back to the company, per company policy.  I don't know how old he is, so maybe it doesn't make sense to keep the door open, but I can't think of any plausible explanation of his, for lack of a better term, odd behavior.

Besides possibly my boss, I don't know if anyone at work knew what he was about to do.  That would be in line with his personality; no one really knew him because he kept to himself.  Then again, for that same reason, maybe no one at work cared about what he was doing.  I honestly don't know if he regarded any one at work as a friend, and I am more certain that we didn't consider him one.

And yet there was a farewell card that was quickly passed around on Friday.  I signed it, and my note to him was sincere.  But I made sure I left work before he could come in.  Hey, we weren't close.

No comments:

Post a Comment