Friday, December 29, 2023

Addendum To: Do I Or Do I Not Want To Get Cut Early?

Well, I blog posted my thoughts about 24 hours ago, but then what happened at work yesterday/Thursday happens.  When I left work Wednesday, my boss told me the last two days this week will be so light that we will be cut early.  Were we cut early yesterday/Thursday?  Fuck to the no.  The lab did other stuff, so in the morning he decided we would be keying that stuff once we got done with our stuff.  (Turns out there was more of our stuff that we needed to do, and because the goddamn scanner is shit and I had to literally shove the forms in them every five fuckin' minutes, we basically had a full day.  The other people in The Main Department did that other stuff for the last, oh, 20 minutes of their workday.)  See, I was led to believe I would have a short day, so I began to plan my afternoon after leaving work, but then I was told that I would not be leaving early after all, and so I feel misled.

Near the end of the day, my boss came over and said I could leave early.  It was only 15 minutes or so, but, as he has been telling me more and more often as I finish out my day in The Main Department, if I built up overtime because of working in The Fourth Department early in the week, I could thus leave early later in the week.  Well, maybe I shouldn't say, "I could thus leave early"; it's more like, "my boss is telling me to leave."  He's on me doing only 40 hours again, and while he might not be directly haranguing me about it, I think he is doing the next best thing, which is just telling me to go when the opportunity to go arises.

He in fact told me as I was leaving yesterday/Thursday that his intent is to have me leave early enough today/Friday so that I work only 40 hours.  Well, he expected to cut us all yesterday/Thursday and that shit didn't happen, so we'll see if he can come through with his promise this time around.  (I have already planned on exercising at the community center straight from work if I leave early enough.)  But even though he was straight with me late in my day, I'm still bothered by his manipulation into making sure I don't get overtime.  The work is the work.  We need to stick around until the work gets done.  We are still short-staffed; in fact, another person was let go a week ago, and I don't think that departure was either planned or, from my former co-worker's point-of-view, wanted.  Regardless, my boss is damned to prevent me from getting any OT.  And I'll be honest: I have gotten a good quaff of OT this year, and I want some more goddamn OT.  So yeah, what he said yesterday got my goat a little.

And yes, I am upset at him for wanting to cut me early when, in the morning, I got upset with him for not cutting me early.  My grievance swings in one direction and then swings in the other.  Does that make me a hypocrite?  Sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment