Tuesday, December 19, 2023

My Car's Dashboard Lit Up Like A Fucking Christmas Tree

Started the car to go home last night.  And by God, not one, not two, not three, but four indicator lights came on.  The Check Engine and Vehicle Stability Assist System ones stayed on after the initial start, while the Tire Pressure Monitoring System one began blinking and then finally stayed on.  Then, just a bit later, the Electric Power Steering one came on too.  All four of those indicators are clustered on the upper-left part of the dashboard, so driving (slowly and carefully) on the way home, all I could do was look at that cluster praying to Buddha, God and all the deities above that no other lights, or one that was red (those four were all amber, and I guess I have to thank my lucky stars none of them were red), popped up on my way home.  But I got home -- with a heart attack, but I got home.

This is my worst fears come to life.  Is the car broken?  It's got more than 100,000 miles on it, but does that mean it's broken?  I have places I want to go this week.  I have to work the Vikings Game on Sunday.  And yes, I have the minivan, but I am still scared as hell to depend on one car, even though I know most people in the world have only one car.

And do I really need to get this car fixed?  It was working just fine yesterday.  It is very strange that all four indicators lights popped up at the same damn time.  And it is as cold as it has been all winter.  I did look online, but this may, may be a case where the sudden cold weather blindsided the sensors, and that's why they are lit up now.  (By the way, even though the power steering light popped on, I had no trouble steering the car all the way home.)

I don't want to bring my car in.  I never do, but not now, not when I have to work in The Fourth Department all week (and oh, I wanted to blog post about working in The Fourth Department all week ... maybe when I'm less anxious).  If I turn the car on this morning and all the lights stay off, I'm not bringing it in.  I might even try it again in the evening if they do come on in the morning (I'll use the minivan to drive to work if that's the case); it's supposed to warm back up to the above-freezing temperatures they've been at all winter by the afternoon, so if they don't come on, I might not think twice.  Or, they might still light up as soon as I turn the ignition and I'll fucking have to bring it in, goddammit.  I might need to bring it in anyway in case it's not the indicator lights but something worse.

God, I hate life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment